Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Panto size for 11 inch machine?

Blog Entries

Panto size for 11 inch machine?

If you have an 11.5 inch throat, what size panto should you use?

Do you have a LA or a DSM?
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    It's for a small LA (mid arm??). It's on a frame

I have an 18" throat but only a 14" quilting area. Using this same percentage on your machine, I came up with no larger than 8.9". There are a lot of single row pantos, though, that would easily fit this space. You probably can't do a double row, but that's no big deal. You just have to roll the quilt up more.

I had a small LA when I first started, and the biggest panto I could use was 5-6". Be warned, as you get to the end of the quilt, things get pretty tight when you need to roll the quilt because you have so little room. So I would say to maybe stick with a 5-6" one and you'll be happy...or you can even go a little smaller if you like. Good luck, show us some pics when you get it done.
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    thank you!!

Blog Entries
    Can you use bigger ones on a smaller quilt? Sorry for all the ?'s!

Ashley, You can use the bigger ones on the smaller quilts, but it's better to get the size you need, i.e., if you only have six inches of quilt space, that's the biggest panto I would get. And of course, there will be some who disagree but, IMHO, you're making more work for yourself in adjusting it to your quilt when you really don't have to...if I'm quilting a really large kingsized quilt, I will roll it up on the frame to the last roll just to see how much room I'll REALLY have to quilt in...that can be an eyeopener and sometimes will make me downsize the panto. If you're doing a small quilt, you can probably use a little larger one with your harp size. But...it gets harder, the bigger your quilt. Is that all clear as mud? And by the way, asking questions is how you learn, so please, don't apologize!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
    Ashley, You can use the bigger ones on the smaller quilts, but it's better to get the size you need, i.e., if you only have six inches of quilt space, that's the biggest panto I would get. And of course, there will be some who disagree but, IMHO, you're making more work for yourself in adjusting it to your quilt when you really don't have to...if I'm quilting a really large kingsized quilt, I will roll it up on the frame to the last roll just to see how much room I'll REALLY have to quilt in...that can be an eyeopener and sometimes will make me downsize the panto. If you're doing a small quilt, you can probably use a little larger one with your harp size. But...it gets harder, the bigger your quilt. Is that all clear as mud? And by the way, asking questions is how you learn, so please, don't apologize!
    It's a lot to take in! No, I totally understand what you're saying. I haven't even seen a panto in action in real life (just you tube!!)!