Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Panto users. >

Panto users.

Panto users.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 AM

I'm collecting info on which beginner's frame & machine I need to be able to use pantos. I'm almost decided on the Brother 1500. Just don't know what I don't know, if that makes sense.LOL.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 AM

?? Are you asking for opinions on the 1500? Or what machine/frame combo others are using? Not sure of the question here... :)

I have both the Brother Nouvelle 1500 and the Janome 1600, they're essentially the same machine.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 AM

ok heres my take, you use what ever set up suits you, a pantogram is a picture, and just think if you have a regular sewing machine, doing it, you will not have much room in the middle of your machine, cuz you have to roll it up in the middle, so think about that, i DO long arm for others, and love pantos, but sometimes if one doesnt draw, its kind of hard, i dont draw, i like pantos printed on paper from www.goldenthreads.com they have nice ones.
good luck
katz
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM

Basically I'm asking if I need a certain frame to use pantos using a Brother 1500.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

i use a juki tl98q on a hinterberg frame. if you are thinking of going with a larger machine later, go for the stretch frame now, which is what i did. still dreaming of the larger machine though :)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 AM

The only problem I see is the size of the panto's. With any of the 9" machines like the Brother 1500, Janome 1600, Juki TL, Babylock Quilters Choice Pro, Viking Mega Quilter, Pfaff Grand Hobby Quilter (& probably several others I've forgotten)--you are going to be limited to a 4--maybe a 5" panto if you're really good about tightening the quilt on the takeup roller and stop in the middle and turn the quilt around or you're only doing small baby-size quilts. Another idea is to adapt the larger panto's into top half/bottom half designs and then just practice, practice, practice to get them to meet in the middle. Where there's a will--there's a way!

As Peckish said, there really isn't much difference in the Brother 1500 and any other 9" machine. The Brother doesn't have a true needle up/needle down feature while some models of the Janome & Juki TL's do but not all so you have to know the difference in the model numbers but if you're using an old mechanical where you have to turn the flywheel to make a half stitch--you might not even care about that feature. Also, one of the Juki's has a built in thread cutter/snipper and I think one of the Janome's but again, some people don't want the thread snipped as they prefer to bury the tails and need them left a little longer.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM

I'm not sure if the smaller Grace frames can do panto's or not. Both of my frames (ProFlex and B-Line) can but I tried panto's once and didn't like it. Which frames are you considering and maybe someone with that type can answer your question?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 AM

I have a brother 1500 set up with a handiquilter 2 frame. it is one that is set up on a folding table. It works well for me now. However, I am going to put the bug in my husband's ear to get another frame for Christmas. :o)
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM

My Janome is on a New Joy frame, it has a panto shelf above the machine, and a holder for a stylus to follow the pantos.

The Janome has a needle up/down button, and the Brother has a needle position button that allows me to choose whether I want the needle to stop in the fabric or above the fabric.

Here's a pic of the frame:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-272959.jpe  
Old 10-17-2011, 02:57 PM

Thank you Peggi. I have not seen (you Tube) the shelf above the machine. I imagine that would be better to keep from bending over so much. I'm sure learning a lot about frames.