Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD? >

Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD?

Paper pieced border pattern not matching WWYD?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by lorli View Post
Why shame? It's the same thing as basting!, I am doing one with basting and I am going to look into the glue sticks, as it's taking so long to prepare the pieces. Though I must admit I kind of like the mindless work... What stitch and thread did you use to put it together?

I think the shame is that I have spent a huge amt on Sewline glue sticks. I can not get a thin line with Elmers to save my life. I first saw paper piecing at the quilt show in July and the ladies at Back Door Quilts use a thread called "The Bottom Line" from Superior threads, though they only sell tiny bobbin sizes I just bought a huge spool of a neutral color. It is very thin 60 weight Poly and is very strong which is good because I sew through papers a lot! I also just learned about waxing the thread and that helps immeasurably (as long as you only wax the single strand not the doubled thread). I am just whipstitching.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 AM

http://www.quiltmuseum.org.uk/collec...headboard.html

This is the beautiful piece that got me started. I have not been able to find this anywhere else. Lots of people here thought it was Patchwork of the Cross.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM

I agree with the others, from anywhere but right up on it, the eye evens it out and it appears to blend in perfectly. It is a fabulous quilt you are making. I am beyond impressed!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by auntdeb View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a beautiful quilt.
I also can't figure out what you are seeing that is wrong with it. It is VERY BEAUTIFUL !!!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM

This is beautiful! Please post when finished. I really like the brown as the finishing border.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:58 PM

I wrote this early this morning, but apparently got interrupted and didn't click on "post".

I love the quilt, and had to look long and hard, several times, to finally find a dot that wasn't matching. My goodness, don't sweat the small stuff. LOL

One way to finish the scalloped edges is to face it. Make a strip long enough for one side and wide enough so that when you fold it in half, it will cover all raw edges with about 1 inch to spare. Lay the facing on the right side, raw edges even with the longest raw edge. The corners would be a mitered seam. Sew a quarter inch seam all along the edge, following the scallop. Clip and turn to the back. Hand sew the folded edge to the back so the stitches are not seen from the front.

Happy quilting!
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

You could cut those pieces on the diagonal. I probably would, if I had enough fabric.

However, if you had not said anything, I don' t think I would have picked up on it right away.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:39 PM

I'm really loving this piece. It's both different and imaginative! Just finish it!