Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing advice needed >

Paper piecing advice needed

Paper piecing advice needed

Old 08-19-2022, 06:49 AM

Question Paper piecing advice needed

Looking for paper piecing advice:

In paper piecing, I've seen videos where a glue stick is used. But I don't wash my quilts before I gift them and don't like the idea of having dried glue on the fabric when I gift it.

I wondering if just using a pin to keep the pieces attached to the paper until it is sewn works just as well. This will be the first time I've done paper piecing.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2022, 06:59 AM

Using a pin will work to hold in place, I do use a glue stick just a dot you don't need to use a lot to hold and I only use on the first piece of fabric not the whold block.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:07 AM

NO Glue stick is needed.
1) go to your favorite store
2) purchase freezer paper--the kind with the plastic on the paper
3) draw your pattern on the paper side Some may need to be drawn backwards of placement in Quilt
4) iron the paper directly onto your fabric
5) do not use any spay as that will get your paper wet only
6) Let fabric cool after pressing
7) Cut out your design
8) carefully pull paper off cloth and you have your pieces cut perfectly to your pattern
9) Store your paper patters carefully so you can re-use them for other quilts.
(My Ann/Andy patterns have been re-used 14 times to cut out extra dolls.)

I love doing my patterns this way as I can reuse the patterns and I don't need bunches of pins that might distort the project by raising the fabric. For me, I will stick to the freezer paper.
-------------------------------
My paper says Reynolds Kitchens Plastic Coated Freezer Paper. Could only find brand name so ALL statements refer to that paper.

Hope this helps. MaryKa

Last edited by MaryKa; 08-19-2022 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:12 AM

I use pins, they work fine. Just place them so they're out of your way.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I paperpiece a lot and do foundation piecing. I never use glue, always a pin to hold the first piece in place. I use Stable Stuff for the paper. It is printable too. Never have to tear it out. I always wash the the quilts afterwards so the person who washes it the first time won't think they messed it up, This has happened to many times for me to not wash a gift quilt. One relative hid the quilt for a long time thinking she messed it up by washing it and it became crinkly.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:58 PM

Thanks. I dug out my old sewing pins that are tiny, so they will make less of an impact on distorting the paper or fabric while sewing. They are actually the ones I used when I first started sewing clothes for my girls dolls. What a memory!

Onebyone, the people I gift to love the look of old fashioned quilts and have no issues washing them. It saves my machine from washing numerous bed size quilts.
Old 08-19-2022, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

My relatives are the type to toss anything one day after the best by date. LOL
Old 08-19-2022, 08:02 PM

I use the freezer paper, too, for English Paper Piecing.
Old 08-20-2022, 02:14 AM

I never use glue. Hold the pieces up to the light so you can see through the paper. You will be able to see if the 2 fabrics are lined up at the seam line.
Old 08-20-2022, 04:35 AM

Another question...
One of the patterns that I am doing is that I take a paper template and after cutting the first piece of fabric using a acrylic template, you glue/pin it onto the paper template. In this instance the paper template is a triangle. You put the fabric you cut with the acrylic template in the center point of the paper template triangle. Then you position a piece of fabric against the edge of the fabric right sides together so that after you sew a quarter inch seam, you fold it over to cover the one side of the triangle paper template, then you repeat it on the other side of the piece of original fabric. Then you turn the paper template over and trim off the excess fabric to match the paper template.

The question is: Is this called paper piecing or is it called foundation piecing, or something else?