Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing and the center of star has bulk >

Paper piecing and the center of star has bulk

Paper piecing and the center of star has bulk

Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Default Paper piecing and the center of star has bulk

Paper pieced a star and it has many points that form the center. I did this in quilt block in 1/4 units, joined two together to form half of the block and then joined the 2 half's to form the square. That all made sense. Problem is each 1/4 block has 3 pieces; each with a point to form the large star for the final result of the block. This made 12 points in the center and lots of bulk. Hints to eliminate bulk for future blocks. Otherwise I like the block. Hope this made sense.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

Try ironing your seams open. Also, if you have little tails (points) that extend out past your seam allowance, you can trim them up to the seam allowance.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

​Star centers can get pretty bulky. If you free up the stitching on the overlapping points you can swirl the ends to get them to lay flatter. You can also press the last seam allowance open. Some people now press all their seam allowances open when piecing intricate blocks.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:11 PM

You can wet the area with a spray bottle..press the heck out of it and place something heavy like a pile of books on top of it until it is dry.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Pressing seams open is the solution to this problem most frequently cited from my reading. I haven't made a star block with that many points so will be interested in what others say too.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Try grading the seams as well. That can help reduce bulk.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Do all the above if still bulky hit it with a hammer. Trimming away as much as possible helps . Some also suggest folding seams one way in a windmill effect. Tried them all and hammer has always come in useful. Place scrap fabric over material and hit bothe sides.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Power Poster

You can also not only trim excess points but even the 1/4" seam can be trimmed slightly to take out some bulk. I will trim one fabric of each seam allowance after it is sewn and before sewing the next section to it.

Eleanor Burns has dampened and taken a hammer to the centers of offending bulk. I do this too, just cover the seam with a scrap of fabric so it is not damaged during the pounding. It works!
peace
Old 07-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Star centers can get pretty bulky. If you free up the stitching on the overlapping points you can swirl the ends to get them to lay flatter. You can also press the last seam allowance open. Some people now press all their seam allowances open when piecing intricate blocks.
Seems like you know what your doing Tartan. What do you mean be freeing up the seams and swirling. Never heard of this. Thank you
Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

freeing up seams is what Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does. the last seam stitches -she cuts the threads where the seam will open up. Just a tad. then flattens out the seams in a swirl. I used to have a link but can't find it.
if nothing helps, your seam allowance may not be exact and you may have to rip out some and resew.