Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing embroidery question >

Paper piecing embroidery question

Paper piecing embroidery question

Old 02-15-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Paper piecing embroidery question

I am working on a BOM which is paperpieced and I have left the paper on. To increase the size I added material on to all sides which does not have any paper. I planned to leave the paper on until I use the block but I now want to do some hand embroidery on it. I was going to stitch through the paper but I'm afraid when I pick the paper off later it will loosen the embroidery stitches. My question is is there a right way to do this?

I also thought about taking the paper off and then using fusible web as a stabilizer before embroidering.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:36 PM

If you have already added more fabric to the sides i would thin you could take the paper off now as it is usually used just to make sure seams are correct.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks, Donna.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

If you want to do hand embroidery on a block that has paper on it, remove the paper first. Pulling it off after you have stitched through it will distort and weaken the embroidery stitches.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks, Dunster, that's what I was thinking. I love having the paper on because it keeps things nice and square but it makes sense to pull it off first.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Just for future reference in your PP adventures. I do a lot of PP and have never had a problem with removing the paper from each block when it is completed. Don't be to affraid of doing this. I remove the paper and then starch and PRESS the block so it holds the shape while I sew the blocks together. It is way difficult to remove paper from interlocking seams if you don't remove it and this struggle will distort the block faster than just removing it when the block is complete. Just imagine removing the paper from a whole lap or queen size quilt after it is sewn together. NO thanks. A block at a time for me!. And please make your life a bit easier and don't embroider through the paper unless you want a disaster. Good luk with your quilt and post pics!

Also dont use any stabilizer for the embroidery. To hard to sew through. Just use a hoop and keep the fabric taut but not stretched. I love the idea of some hand work in the blocks!
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 02-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 AM

I love to paper piece but would definitely take the paper out before any embroidery. Taking the paper out can be tedious so I would take the paper out of each block as I make them. If not, it really stinks to sit and remove the paper from 30 blocks at once.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks Ubequilting and Donnamarie, I successfully removed the paper before embroidery and in a strange way I kind of liked it! I got my little tweezers out which helped a lot and undid the puzzle. For anyone new to this there is one tip that I will give-if you baste around the edges do it in a different colored thread. I snipped the seam instead of the basting thread by mistake but I caught it pretty quickly so no real harm done.

I have another block that embroideried like crazy and didn't remove the paper so that will be my next project. The house is the one I didn't remove.
Attached Thumbnails misc-008.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Darling block
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM

Thank you, Karen. I'm finding it's the details and fussy stuff I like best.