Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing help please >

Paper piecing help please

Paper piecing help please

Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

The benefit of the freezer paper/fold method is that the ironing hold the paper to the fabric. You then fold the freezer paper back along the stitching line, trim the seam allowance to 1/4 inch on the first piece and sew the second piece to the first just outside the fold. You then iron out the second piece and fuse the freezer paper pattern over the second piece, fold back, trim, add 3rd piece and sew on....
After the block is finished, the whole freezer paper pattern piece is peeled off and can be used again until it stops sticking when ironed.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Everyone is confusing Freezer PP with regular. you do not stitch through the paper with Freezer paper, you fold it back and stitch next to the fold. The beauty of the FPP method is not tearing and you can reuse the patter piece multiple times. Here is a link to FPP with pictures so those of you who comment that you use cheap computer paper, Carol Doaks, kids scribble pads can understand the difference.. http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21.

Regarding the OP's issue of fabric fraying when you pull away the paper. I have never had that happen more than a few threads. Try hitting it with your iron again before peeling. That should remelt the waxy coating enough to get it to release easily but you may sacrifice the amount of times you can reuse your pattern piece.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 AM

Here's the link to the method I found years ago! Really easy! I usually do a basting stitch in the first piece to keep it in place.

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM

This was a great tutorial! Thank you. I've wanted to learn to paper piece but have not been excited about the tearing away process. This might be my answer. Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM

Remember-Shorten the stitch when paper piecing. It makes it easier to remove the paper.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Everyone is confusing Freezer PP with regular. you do not stitch through the paper with Freezer paper, you fold it back and stitch next to the fold. The beauty of the FPP method is not tearing and you can reuse the patter piece multiple times. Here is a link to FPP with pictures so those of you who comment that you use cheap computer paper, Carol Doaks, kids scribble pads can understand the difference.. http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21.

Regarding the OP's issue of fabric fraying when you pull away the paper. I have never had that happen more than a few threads. Try hitting it with your iron again before peeling. That should remelt the waxy coating enough to get it to release easily but you may sacrifice the amount of times you can reuse your pattern piece.
Thank you so much for clarifying the difference and posting the link, thanks too Kitsie. I have done paper piecing but have not heard of this method. I will give it a try.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 AM

I've done paper piecing with freezer paper, "paper piecing" paper from Renae Merrill, and computer paper but I found that I LOVE using newsprint. I cut it to 8 1/2 x 11 and it goes through the printer great!! Tears away with no problem and no damage to my project. Go to your local newspaper and you can buy "end rolls" of newsprint that you then cut to size. My newspaper charges $2.00 per end roll and I don't think I'll live long enough to use even one "end roll" up.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 AM

I use the scribble pad paper from the Dollar Tree. It has to be trimmed before placing a stack in my printer because it comes in 9x12 sheets @ 40 sheets for $1.00, which is very cheap compared to actual PP paper. Scribble pads also come in a larger size as well, if you have a wide carriage printer.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:40 AM

I copy my pattern onto lightweight non-fusible interfacing and then I don't have to rip out anything
Old 06-28-2014, 06:10 AM

If you use freezer or regular copy paper, prestitch it with a small stitch before you iron it on then take a pin and start in middle of area and tear from the center out to prevent spoiling edges