Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paper piecing - Help please

I have never done paper piecing and decided that this is my challenge for 2010. Can anyone just tell me what type of paper is used? Ordinary typing paper or is it a special kind of paper and where can I get it? What do I ask for if I want to order it online?
    Thanks.

I've not sewn paper piecing personally, but I saw a clip somewhere and the woman was using vellum, and she explained that she preferred to use it as it tears away from the seams easily. Good luck with your piecing!

Personally, I just use the cheapest copy paper I can find, don't forget to shorten your stitches.

I use copy paper.

Thanks, I thought I need to buy something special.

I prefer using newsprint, the kind you find in children's drawing pads (really cheap at Walmart). Amma did a great tutorial on paper piecing. Just go to the tutorial section scroll down to paper piecing and enjoy. I think you will be hooked once you try it. Perfect blocks every time.

I love to paper piece and Carol Doak is the queen of paper pcing. If possible get one of her books and it explains everything. I buy her special paper but I know others use what works for them best.

I just use the lined school paper and I am just a beginner also. But you have to be sure its the 8 1/2 X 11 size sheets or I did anyway it messed up in my printer. But it works great for me, its thin enough to see thru, and cheap to use. I couldn't find any of the newsprint or child paper to fit my printer. Too small. Hope this helps you.

Rita

I used regular computer paper...but I adjust the stitch so that is is a shorter stitch - the paper tears off more easily..it always works well for me!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As with nearly everyting in quilting, use whatever works! Special paper, newsprint, copy paper, notebook paper. With anything new I try, I like to start with the most inexpensive thing I can find. If it seems like something I will really get into, and the board things it's worth upgrading to something more expensive, I'll move up.

I am going to try paper piecing too, for the first time. Right now I am going to use plain computer paper, but I have ordered some tracing paper that was on sale, hoping it will work in my printer. I have downloaded at least 5 tutorials and am still nervous. Also I ordered a Carol Doak CD, someone said she was really good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    If it is regular sized piecing, I just use regular copy paper with a stitch length of 1.5. If it is teeny weeny pieces like I did for a DQ, well, copy paper works, but I've decided to use a water-soluble or tracing paper. Some of those pieces were about 1/8 th of an inch!

Good luck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I am going to try paper piecing too, for the first time. Right now I am going to use plain computer paper, but I have ordered some tracing paper that was on sale, hoping it will work in my printer. I have downloaded at least 5 tutorials and am still nervous. Also I ordered a Carol Doak CD, someone said she was really good.
    Don't be nervous! The worst you could do is screw it up. It's very easy. Start with a simpler pattern, not so many pieces and work your way up to more complicated ones if you feel you need to. When you do start a project, I'd suggest buying a little extra fabric, just in case.

I use velum paper...you can get it from paper supply stores. There is also a lady named RaNae Merrill who sells it online. I'll try to find it ...here you go:

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...impleFound.php

She charges a bit more than you can get it at the paper supply store for. If you look in the Dear Jane Cyber Sew thread, there's lots of talk about paper, where it's cheapest, etc. Problem is the thread is over 160 pages long...lots of reading to find your info.

I've used copy paper, but I actually prefer the cheep ligned paper I used in school. It's ligher and cheeper but will still go through my printer with no problems.

I use copy paper because we have a copier at home, it's free and readily available. It can be a little hard to tear off and can distort the stitching sometimes. So, I can see why vellum would be used. With copy paper I've found that moistening the paper area that you're tearing off makes it much easier to remove and the stitching isn't distorted.

I'm almost done with a paper-pieced queen-size quilt and the paper I've used is by June Taylor (purchased from Joann's). I think the thickness of the paper will affect how often you'll need to change your needle. It may not bother some people.

The June Taylor paper held extremely well while I worked with it, and it tore off easily when the time came. Just remember to sew a little past your end-points, and to lower the stitch length.

It's easy, and I can't believe I hadn't tried it before. Now that I have, I'm thinking of working on a Mariner's Compass, next.

Blog Entries
    I started using vellum and it's the cream of paper for paper piecing. I have used Carol Doak's paper, newsprint, copy paper, writing paper, tracing paper, deli paper, Dr. office paper, and freezer paper. I won't use anything but vellum, because I'm worth it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I started using vellum and it's the cream of paper for paper piecing. I have used Carol Doak's paper, newsprint, copy paper, writing paper, tracing paper, deli paper, Dr. office paper, and freezer paper. I won't use anything but vellum, because I'm worth it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Me too!!! :thumbup:

I use the paper you get at the dollar store. Biggest requirement is to make sure your stitch length is very short or it will not tear away easily. Best of luck with your project.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    I use copy paper and newsprint for all of mine. Short stitch length like mentioned 1.5 and I fold and crease before I tear it off. Sewing a couple of stitches beyond the seam lines is important too, it anchors the seams and omits raveling stitches :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    It's tricky at first knowing how to cut the material to cover your pattern (or at least it was for me because my pattern didn't tell how much I needed for each piece of the pattern), but once you get the hang of it you will love it. Blocks are so precise!

Blog Entries
    besides paper, get yourself an add a quarter ruler. that has a lip on it and it helps you tear your paper off. trimming your 1/4 seam past where you just sewed works well with this ruler. then all you have to do is place your next piece of fabric against the trimmed fabric and sew away. flip and sew.
    lots of visual help online. youtube,etc.
    good luck.

The Carol Doak video is on sale at Connecting Threads and is well worth the price. Regular copy paper causes my seams to be too thick. I ordered the vellum and Carol Doaks. The vellum is transparent and you can see through it. The Doak tears off easy but you can't see through it.

Rina,
    I just wanted to add that paper piecing is one of the most forgiving kinds of sewing/quilting....just so easy to get perfect points even when it's someting new...I tried it and loved it...it is a lot of fun!
    Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast