Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing Paper HELP

I am well into a Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt and I used freezer paper for all of it. I have a metal hexagon template, trace the center part onto the freezer paper and then cut out. I use the miniature iron to iron the fabric edges over the freezer paper. (Fabric has been cut using the outside edges of the template which makes it 1/4-in larger.) This eliminates any basting. After joining the hexagons, the freezer paper pulls out very easily after you have joined your pieces.

I am doing some rosettes for the Aussy GFG quilt and did order the paper pieces from a store in Illinois. This is my first for using those types of paper pieces. They work well, especially since the flowers are getting mailed to Australia.

Be sure to leave the paper piecing in the fabric until you have joined the various rows. You sure have received a lot of good ideas. This Board is a blessing.

I have used regular copy paper too but I also have a sister that works for a Doctor and the paper they roll out for you to sit on is great for paper or foundation piecing. i have her get me a roll of it. So if you have any connections....

I have an industrial sized box from Costco..or place like it..it is the kind they use in deli's to wrap sandwiches or put in a basket..Not tissue paper, not waxed..but very see through and great to work with. They pull out of the box like tissue paper..so there is one fold in the middle of the sheet.

Blog Entries
    I use computer copy paper and a smaller stitch as well. The other thing I do before tearing the paper off, is to spritz the paper with water and it tears more easily.

I go to the kids section of office supplies in KMart. The off-white cheap tablets have very good paper for paper piecing. I try to get the 81/2 by 11" tablets because they fit in the copier. They tear away much easier than notebook paper of copy paper and are even cheaper. Be careful when you iron each peice because the ink can transfer onto your ironing board cover.

I use long serger tweasers to pull of the paper in hard to get at places. It is also good to "snap" the piece by quickly giving it a little stretch. this seems to get the paper to pop off!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karielt
    I have used regular copy paper too but I also have a sister that works for a Doctor and the paper they roll out for you to sit on is great for paper or foundation piecing. i have her get me a roll of it. So if you have any connections....
    I paid $6 at a medical supply store for a roll. I had to ask, it wasn't out on the shelf. I did not use it for paper piecing (yet), but to make a scalloped border pattern and for FMQ patterns. It will last me a long time!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use regular copy paper and set my stitch length to 1.0. The paper will tear off easily without pulling stitches. Just be aware that at that stitch length it's harder to rip out mistakes! :? :shock:

I learned this from Brenda Henning, who has written several books on paper piecing mariner's compass'.

I use translucent vellum from the craft store. (Of course I use a coupon.) Sometimes I sew through several layers of paper paterns with my machine and no thread to perforate it. After paper piecing, it tears off beautifully.

I generally buy the sandwich wrap in boxes of 1000 in 12"sq or 14"sq sizes at Smart & Final in California..........not sure if those stores are in other states.
    I love using it...........so easy to remove and CHEAP!!!!!

Hi Peggy:
    The BEST paper I've used is the thin paper that we get in the mail from our stocks and bonds company...we don't read the BOOKS but I save them and use the paper. It's thin as onionskin and works so well for paperpiecing. Use extra small stitches and it tears right off when you are ready to remove the paper. Works great and it doesn't cost a thing. If you don't get these books in the mail you might just go to one of the financial folks in your town (stock broker) and ask if they have one you can have for quilting. They'll probably be really glad to get rid of them or at least save them for you.

Blog Entries
    I bought C. Doak's paper at our LQS. I'm a beginner at PP and like the paper, but it's just newprint. Next time, I'll look for doodle pads at the dollar store.
    Mary Ellen

If you are wanting newsprint for paper piecing, go to your local newspaper office and buy end rolls of newsprint paper. They sell for $5-6 here and have a lot of paper on them.
    When my children were in school, I got it for them to color on, etc. We had friends over one evening, and the other kids started to tear the paper in hand size piece. Of course my children followed suit. Soon they had a pile of paper (not making a dent in the amount of the roll) and were tossing it up and playing in it like they would have played in leaves. A lot cleaner than the leaves and they had a lot of fun. They also picked it up when finished. Wvwey fall when I see the leaves turing color and getting ready to fall, I am reminded of their 'inside leaves'. :)

Don't iron your paper and fabric as you go (just thumb nail press) until you are ready to trim it down to the correct size. Paper shrinks when heated. Some papers will shrink more than others. Use a dry iron and be quick on the pressing. A shrinkage of 1/16 of an inch can add up quickly if you are trying to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis
    If you are wanting newsprint for paper piecing, go to your local newspaper office and buy end rolls of newsprint paper. They sell for $5-6 here and have a lot of paper on them.
    When my children were in school, I got it for them to color on, etc. We had friends over one evening, and the other kids started to tear the paper in hand size piece. Of course my children followed suit. Soon they had a pile of paper (not making a dent in the amount of the roll) and were tossing it up and playing in it like they would have played in leaves. A lot cleaner than the leaves and they had a lot of fun. They also picked it up when finished. Wvwey fall when I see the leaves turing color and getting ready to fall, I am reminded of their 'inside leaves'. :)
    I use to get the roll ends from our newspaper office, too but they went to some other kind of paper so now they don't have the roll ends anymore. :cry: :cry: I used that paper for everything from making a pattern to helping create fun art projects. Our neices and nephews would come over and we'd do BODY pictures where the kids would lay on the paper and we'd outline their bodies then they'd "dress" the picture with color crayons. For a couple years their parents got these Body Pictures as Christmas gifts from each of their children. The kids loved doing it and my sister and brother enjoyed having life sized "refrigerator" art of their child's likeness. Fun times.

If you are hand drawing your pattern, instead of sending it thru your printer, I've found tracing paper works better. It tears away very easily. I don't know if you can buy it in a size that would fit in your printer without trimming it.

Blog Entries
    Having worked for a dr. for years I found that table paper from Dr. office made great paper piecing.
    Also I have used old patterns.
    Sal

I'm in the South and use tracing paper found in a tablet in the art section at the craft stores or at Dollar General Store. trim it to 8 1/2 x 11 inches in size and print on my computer. It work well. Everyone that has sent tips thanks. I've learned a lot this morning.

I have learned tons about this question on paper, thanks again EVERYONE, this is the best board for information.............

I use pads of paper I get at the Dollar Store. 70 sheets for $1.00. The pad is 9 x 12. It has Scribble Pad on the front. The paper looks like a good grade of newsprint and it tears off easily.

It is great to use under appliques also.

I made a couple of quilts for the Grandma's flower garden. I saved inserts from the ads that we tear out of the magazines that come. When I thought I had enough then I cut out the shape that I needed. That paper is a little bit stronger than regular copy paper and I pull them out and throw them away.

Blog Entries
    Thank you SOOO much. I had earlier posted that I used computer paper, and spritzed it with water to remove. However, I still could never get it all. With the dollar store scribbler pad and pulling the paper off the paper pieced square dry, I had no problem whatsoever. And the dollar store scribbler paper printed perfectly on the computer, and with it being 9 x 12 I could easily trim it to fit in the computer.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

When I used the ad inserts in our magazine and newspapers, all I had to do when I was ready to take it out of the sewed piece was poke a little hole in the center, grab it with tweezers and pull it out. I've even saved the ones I pulled out and will use them again.

I talked my doctor into letting me purchase a roll of the paper he uses on the patient tables. It works better than anything else I have ever tried. The only disadvantage is that I manually trace the pattern.

well for me there are four important ingredients to paper piecing.
    1- inexpensive paper
    2- tears off easily when done
    3- very transparent
    4- hold up while doing it

I have a roll of pattern tracing paper that I bought from a Clotilde catalog several years back. Don't remember what I paid for it, but haven't used even half yet.
    I also use the scribble pads, that kids doodle on, and I have some tissue ppr for wrapping that I am going to try. I don't know how well it will hold up during use, but I think it might work well, and I got 50 sheets for 1.99.
    I also 'score' my small stitch seam lines, with the back side of my seam ripper, before tearing off paper. Works great. :D

From reading the posts here, it seems like we have 2 different kinds of paoer piecing being discussed here, machine paper piecing and English or hand paper piecing. The one where you need the paper to tear off easily is the Machine one, and you can use stiffer paper for English or hand piecing, where you can slip the paper templates out and use them over. I'm wondering if we have some newer quilters that are confused by what is being said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast