Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing paper question

I know you all use a variety of paper, from tissue paper to copy paper to vellum to tracing paper. I've been looking for newsprint thinking it would be a good weight paper that might not clog up in my printer. I need to print a big bunch of papers for a large project. I'm having a really hard time finding paper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Where do those of you who use newsprint purchase it?

Second question: Copy paper is shown to usually be 20lb paper. I've seen newsprint described as 30lb paper, but I know it is much thinner than copy paper. So what do those numbers actually mean?

Blog Entries
    I don't have an answer about the newsprint but I do use the cheapest copy paper I can find and don't have any problem removing the paper after sewing. I do use very small stitches.

Blog Entries
    I use copy paper and have no problem removing it. I buy it at Wal Mart. Good luck finding what you need.

Blog Entries
    i go to the local newspaper office and buy roll ends...there is a LOT of paper and my paper has them in 2 widths, i buy the 30" it is a roll or newsprint 30" wide by ALOT...cost me $22

Office depot has it online only..... 500 sheets for about $5 plus shipping. I really need to order one soon!

Blog Entries
    You can buy or maybe get it free from your local news paper. When we have litters of pups that is what we use in the kennel boxes. We have to shred it. My DGK like to draw on it .It comes in real handy for all kinds of things. We just get the ends of the rolls but there is still a lot on there.

Blog Entries
    I use newsprint sheets that you can get at an office supply store. They come in pads and are similar to pages from a childs coloring book. The ones I currently have came in pads of 100 sheets. You can even have them cut to a size to fit in your printer.

Do any of you run the newsprint through your printer? I ran a piece of tracing paper through and it came out along with a piece of the regular copy paper underneath. I also cut a piece out of our newspaper and it bent up a little bit. I have the HP Photosmart 6380 all-in-one.

I use #16 copy paper. It comes in two sizes 8 1/2x11 and 8 1/2 X14. I purchase it from a paper store. I'm sure it's available on-line also.

I googled newsprint and a place in California popped up. I bought a bundle of it for under $20 about 2 years ago, there was a 1.000 sheets in the bundle. It is 8"x 11" and works in my HP printer.

I buy tracing paper at Wal Mart. It is very reasonable. I do have to cut it down to 8 1/2 x 11. I do several sheets at once so it doesn't take long to cut it. It tears off easily. I like it because you can see the printing from either side.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda B
    I know you all use a variety of paper, from tissue paper to copy paper to vellum to tracing paper. I've been looking for newsprint thinking it would be a good weight paper that might not clog up in my printer. I need to print a big bunch of papers for a large project. I'm having a really hard time finding paper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! Where do those of you who use newsprint purchase it?

Second question: Copy paper is shown to usually be 20lb paper. I've seen newsprint described as 30lb paper, but I know it is much thinner than copy paper. So what do those numbers actually mean?

I use kids scrapbook paper the kraft color, they come in books of 8.5x11 just right for the printer and tears away nicely, not loosening the stitches.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do any of you run the newsprint through your printer? I ran a piece of tracing paper through and it came out along with a piece of the regular copy paper underneath. I also cut a piece out of our newspaper and it bent up a little bit. I have the HP Photosmart 6380 all-in-one.
    I have the HP photosmart premium and I run everything from onion skin paper to card stock through her with no issues.

I use the newsprint for all of my PPing and never have any issues with it!

Some printers will handle the thin paper with no problems & others have to be coerced. Also, the age & condition of the rollers that pickup the paper will have an effect. When using non-standard paper, it may be easier & less frustrating to use the manual feed or straight through paper path. Some printers just won't handle paper as flimsy as onion skin or vellum though. I started paper piecing with some very thin typing paper and loved it but had to feed it through one sheet at a time to print on it. Now I can't find typing paper so I use newsprint (tablet paper) that I found at a flea market but I've seen it at office supply stores also. Not quite as easy to remove as the typing paper was but still easier than copy paper.

When I was in a book club, the books came with some type of very thin packing paper--like gift wrap before color is added. It could be ironed out, trimmed to size and fed through the printer or traced through. It was a little heavier than vellum but thinner than the typing paper. Long story short--I think gift wrapping paper will work if you can find lighter colors or the source before the colors are put on it.

I get newsprint end rolls at my local newspaper office. They are about 24" wide and have 15-20 (or more) yards of paper left on them. They're usually less than $1 a piece, but recently I went in on a Saturday morning and the girl at the counter said, "Oh, we don't charge for these on Saturdays!" I came out of there with as many as I could carry (6). They have to be cut up to whatever size I need, but I have an old rotary cutter I use for that. It might be a little tedious work, but hey, you can't beat that the paper was free!

if you have an IKEA near you, you can buy a roll of drawing paper (same quality as newspaper) for $5.00

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20152281

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama
    I get newsprint end rolls at my local newspaper office. They are about 24" wide and have 15-20 (or more) yards of paper left on them. They're usually less than $1 a piece, but recently I went in on a Saturday morning and the girl at the counter said, "Oh, we don't charge for these on Saturdays!" I came out of there with as many as I could carry (6). They have to be cut up to whatever size I need, but I have an old rotary cutter I use for that. It might be a little tedious work, but hey, you can't beat that the paper was free!
    man, Our newspaper sells the ends for $15! and they wonder why nobody buys them!

I don't worry about the cost of the paper as much as the cost of the ink. That can get really expensive, evem for just line work.

I buy the Carol Doaks paper from Joann's Store, and i love it so easy to use. The price is normally $9.95 for 100 sheet but i always buy it at 50% of or if it ever goes on 50% without coupon i use on top of it my 10% discount.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I have the HP photosmart premium and I run everything from onion skin paper to card stock through her with no issues.

I use the newsprint for all of my PPing and never have any issues with it!
    Is your onion skin paper textured ? I have some that is & was going to use it for pp. I also have aHP Photo smart all - in - one printer.

I just recycle regular copy paper from my printer and print my patterns on the back side. If you use a denimn needle or make your stitches small it pulls off easy.

Blog Entries
    That is a real good idea. My DH is always printing stuff so that I can read it later. I am going to use that paper too .TIA

Wow! These are interesting answers! I ,too, am planning for my first PP project. The project is a request from my daughter for my grandson and I want it to be very nice. Thank-you all for sharing your experience.

Blog Entries
    Forgot to add I have used newspaper but only on dark fabrics to strip quilt. You have to iron the paper first to set the ink. someone posted a thread about newspaper end runs (paper) that you could use that has no ink.

Linda, I've purchased a Doodle Pad from wm you will need to trim down the sheets to fit your printer, but works and is easy to remove from your blocks after the sewing is complete. Another option is special paper designed by Carol Doak, whiched I'v purchsed in the past through Clotilde. There are other products on the market, but they can geet quite pricey for a large project. The Doodle Pad is light weight newsprint paper and serves the purpose very well.

Helen...MO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast