Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Paper Piecing Paper Question

Paper Piecing Paper Question

Does anyone use plain printer paper for paper piecing? Never tried this and would like to. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have. I print block patterns and sew them just fine. just use a small stitch. when you tear your paper off, put a finger (thumb maybe) onto the seam and tear. moving your finger hold along as you tear. it helps stabilize.

Blog Entries
    newsprint paper works the best. I did block that has 76 pieces and the printer paper did not work well changed to newsprint or foundation paper and it worked fine.

Blog Entries
    i use the printer paper, but found that a pale blue color works better than the white. i have to say, though, that i use the fold-back method of paper piecing.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I've used lots of regular printer paper and it works okay. I also did two string quilts on newspaper and I thought it was actually harder to tear off because it tore easier but didn't tear cleanly along the stitching lines. I just bought two boxes of Gilbert Paper onionskin. It's really sturdy but tears off really easy. I did have to hand draw my blocks on the onionskin because it wouldn't go thru my printer. But that's not hard to do with a ruler and a fine point sharpie.

I did ONCE only in a small demo on paper piecing. Then I went to 25% rag vellum as it is easier on my needles and tears so well. Though medical exam table paper also works well, I don't have that source anymore.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    For the quilt in my avatar, I used vellum paper. It went through the printer just fine and was easy to tear. Not particularly cheap, but it worked well.

That is the ONLY paper I use. . . 20 lb. bond that I get by the ream at Costco. It works fine for me as long as my stitch is tiny. Then I recycle all the pieces I tear off.

I was cleaning out my fabric, ongoing job, have two totes of scraps, I debated on bagging them up and giving away, then the thought came to me of the spiderweb quilt, it does not need to go through the printer, I do not think. Am going to try just doing one block and see what happens, hopefully tonight. Thanks for your thoughts on this, appreciate it.

I've used both copier paper (standard 20 lb) and Carol Doak's paper. Honestly, I liked the copier paper better. Maybe I shortened my stich length on the copier and not the other - can't say. But copier paper and short stitch length = no problems.

I use plain paper all the time, use small stitches and when you are ready to take it out, use a q-tip slightly damp and run it along the seam, the paper will come apart and no stitches will be pulled.

I read on the quiltville site, a jean needle was suggested as the needle makes a bigger hole? I am still thinking shorter stitch would apply as well.

I use copy paper and short stitch. Works great.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I've used copy paper, unprinted newspaper, special paper-piecing paper (Carol Doak and June Tailor), and vellum. Vellum is my go-to paper; it's printable, tears easily, and most importantly, I can see through it.

I've also switched methods; instead of the puncture-and-tear method, I use the fold-and-sew method.

Blog Entries
    i use copy paper all the time--the cheaper it is the better it works!
    Bernie

I use walmarts copy paper, never had a problem.

I've always used the cheap printer paper - even when I got pre-printed patterns with a pattern. I just lay the "good" pattern onto the copier and make a bunch of copies and I'm ready to go.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I use it all the time. it is a little thicker so back stitch ( just a stitch or two) on the edges so when you tear the paper off it does not seperate the material. I love p/p and when you get use to it you will to. good luck and show your progress. we will all help you.
    Dawn in Waco
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

I use copy paper with a short stitch. I've tried many others, but I like copy paper the best.
    FancyFoot

Blog Entries
    I use lightweight vellum more then any other. Not the scrapbooking vellum. I like the child scribble book paper made from newsprint but only for a few pieces on a block because it tears too easy when sewing a lot of pieces on one pattern. I have used the Carol Doak paper, and several brands of the pp paper. I won't use plain copy paper any more. Too thick and too much trouble getting paper out of the seams. Why make it frustrating to save a few dollars. I'll take the hassle free.
    Got fabric?

I have used regular copy paper. Someone said to use telephone book paper. I haven't tried that.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

lbc
    I've taken one paper piecing class and she used 20# copy paper and it worked fine.

I use copypaper to and sew small stitches.
    I tear it of like a bandaid, makes the seams stay better in place.
    And I never start at the beginning or end of the seam while tearing, always somewhere in the middle.
    greetz, fien
    http://quiltfien.blogspot.com/

Yes, I use regular copy paper in my printer and it tears fine. If you are doing several blocks that are identical you can layer four or five together and stitch on the line. This pre-perforates the paper and makes it much easier to remove paper from the final block.

Thanks for all of your replies, this morning before I posted this I knew very little about paper piecing and what paper to use. There are so many wonderful hints that you have shared. Thanks. Am trying the Spiderweb, Quiltville.com. She explains how to make your own template and how to do it without buying anymore rulers, this is great. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast