Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing question >

Paper piecing question

Paper piecing question

Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Okay, as usual I'm jumping in with both feet on a new technique but I haven't had a disaster doing it this way yet so I keep doing it. :) This time it's paper piecing. I want to do the Farmer's Wife sampler and I think I want to PP most of the blocks. I have a PP'ing book by Carol Doaks and understand the process pretty well. What I'm not sure about it is some of the block templates (from EQ) have some of the blocks broke into sections. Each section has it's pieces numbered one to whatever. How do you piece these blocks? PP each section and then traditionally piece the sections together?

Hopefully what I'm asking is a little more clear than mud. :)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Power Poster

Yes. I leave all the paper on until I'm thru with the quilt.
Hope this helps.:)
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

You cannot always paper piece a block in one section. You do each section individually, and then sew the sections together :wink:

I leave all of the paper on until the quilt top is complete. The paper helps to stabilize all of the bias edges you end up with on the sides of the blocks :D:D:D
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM

And, if you look up bearisgray, she has some very interesting samples of how the blocks were created by folding paper.
There is nothing that says your blocks must have pencil marks, and what book was I reading? Oh, I can't remember right now, but the author mentioned that many times, new designs were created by taking paper and folding it to see how new angles could be utilized.
We must always remember that the block designers didn't have access to the wonderful tools we have in this time. Keep in mind that before everyone had rotary cutters, computer programs, rulers for every shape conceivable, and a pencil in every crevice of our homes ...
we have so much <g> if we can get in touch with the historical reality of quilt block design, we will understand the unique gifts we have at our fingertips. <wave>
Old 12-20-2010, 05:36 PM

I am currently paper piecing a star from a Carol Doak book of 50 PP stars. The are all done in sections, then they are trimmed with a 1/4 inch seam allowance added (I believe my EQ7 ones have a faint dotted line for the seam allowance, the ones in the CD book don't). Then you line them up at points or corners, pin and sew on the line just as if you were adding another piece to just one section of the pp pattern. clear as mud, huh? I know that I drew out many of the farmers wife blocks to pp so I could get them accurate. It worked so well, I ordered the EQ FW CD. Good luck, course you always do absolutely fantastic work and I am sure this will be no exception.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
I am currently paper piecing a star from a Carol Doak book of 50 PP stars. The are all done in sections, then they are trimmed with a 1/4 inch seam allowance added (I believe my EQ7 ones have a faint dotted line for the seam allowance, the ones in the CD book don't). Then you line them up at points or corners, pin and sew on the line just as if you were adding another piece to just one section of the pp pattern. clear as mud, huh? I know that I drew out many of the farmers wife blocks to pp so I could get them accurate. It worked so well, I ordered the EQ FW CD. Good luck, course you always do absolutely fantastic work and I am sure this will be no exception.
You and Amma both answered my questioned! Exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you! (and thank you Nursie for the sweet compliment)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Rachel if you check on the FWS site JAGSD is paper piecing her blocks and they're gorgeous. I'm sure she could help you out, too.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Rachel if you check on the FWS site JAGSD is paper piecing her blocks and they're gorgeous. I'm sure she could help you out, too.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1018

the virtual section has a whole bunch of help and encouragement for the Farmer's Wife Sampler. <wave>