Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper piecing and really tight inner curves >

Paper piecing and really tight inner curves

Paper piecing and really tight inner curves

Old 07-28-2014, 09:05 AM

Default Paper piecing and really tight inner curves

I have recently finished my first king sized paper pieced quilt and liked the results well enough to go full tilt and make a really complicated quilt using variations on a New York beauty pattern. It has a ton of very very tight inside curves and requires small arched V shaped fabrics to be sewn into that tight curve to complete each block. Ultimately when this is completed it looks like colorful pieced "worms" intertwined on a black background. This might sound hideous but it is actually quite striking! Because the grain of the fabrics is frequently random and with a lot of "give"...should you baste inner curves, aggressively clip the outer curve of the piece to be added, then pin, pray and sew or is there a general rule of thumb that as a relatively new quilter, who mostly learns from utube, needs to know ? Any and all tips, tricks and techniques would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

oh my goodness. can you hand sew the pieces together and then quilt them well when you finish the whole quilt? at least baste them and then sew by machine. Basting helps a lot.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 AM

I have never seen a paper-piecing pattern with actual curves. The very nature of paper does not allow it to curve with the seam. In my experience, paper-piecing "curves" is actually piecing many narrow, angled pieces that give the appearance of being curved, but are actually straight.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have never seen a paper-piecing pattern with actual curves. The very nature of paper does not allow it to curve with the seam. In my experience, paper-piecing "curves" is actually piecing many narrow, angled pieces that give the appearance of being curved, but are actually straight.
I think she's talking about sewing the paper pieced segments together. Those pieces are often curved, but the curves are usually fairly gentle so putting them together isn't difficult. It would really help to see the pattern.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I have done what the OP is suggesting

I removed the paper foundation for the spiky portion before sewing it to the inner tight curve. I pinned, pinned, pinned with the concave portion on top. I did not baste. Once the inner curve was on, I sewed the outer curve same way, concave on top and many pins.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM

On smaller curves I also like to handsew them together, the stitches don't have to be neat, I sew just to the left of the sewing line so that I don't sew over the hand stitching and it makes it easier to remove. I find it so much easier to get a good finish rather than just pinning.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:42 PM

This the actual design by Jacqueline DeJonge. The inner circles are done in three sections and connected with Y seams. Sorry for such a small picture...no idea how to scale it for better viewing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]485377[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails flipped-quilt.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

WOW that is one intricate New York Beauty with three dimensional cubes in the background. My next project is Island Sunrise by Judy Niemeyer and it is just the traditional New York Beauty done with PP.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Gorgeous quilt! I am an experienced paper piecer, but I've never contemplated doing a NY Beauty... too ambitious a project for me and I am afraid of the curves.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

Oh gosh, I've got one of her books. I've yet to make a quilt from it though.