Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: paper piecing?

Paper piecing is easy.

Go for it,you will learn s-ooo fast. My first paper pieceing was a Mariners Compass. I even made my own pattern. You can do it!!!!

Power Poster
    That is a tough one for a first project.

I am a visual learner and took a class at my local quilt shop. I am so glad I did. I love paper-piecing now and have completed 2 quilts and have pattern and fabric to make "thistle pod". I recommend that you take a class. well worth it.

Blog Entries
    I did a mariners compass paper pieced and love it. I did just one to see if I could do it. You have to concentrate, mark your colors, and it just becomes repeated throught the square. I love paper piecing, and it takes some practice, like anything else. Have fun.

Deep breath in......exhale slowly........and go for it!
    PP is only as hard as you make it......some like it, (that was my technique for the first two....) Accurate points!

Blog Entries
    beautiful

I learned from a book by Carole Doaks. I think it was beginner paper piecing, don't recall the exact name. There are also videos on you tube. It's not as hard as you think , and really easy once you wrap your head around the concept of doing things a little backwards. I know you can do it, if you follow along and take it one step at a time.

thanks for the information,quilters have got the most friendly folks in the world, this will be my fifth quilt,my first one was an obark star and still my favorite one thanks again I will send a picture, I make about one quilt a year, I'm really not that slow i just have lots of projects lol

d.swindle

appreciate your encouragement.I always jump into things head first.

d.swindle

appreciate your info and encouragement.

d.swindle

i haven't tried paper piecing yet--looks intimidating...but i LOVE the way that the new york beauties and mariner's compass look, so i'm sure it won't be too long till i try!

I posted this tutorial link here earlier today
    http://classicquilter.typepad.com/cl...r-piecing.html
    Freezer paper is used, no tearing off the paper afterwards, equals no mess!

Blog Entries
    This group is so GREAT--so many of you can guide us through with videos. You have such a knack to know where to find them. You are appreciated, Jeanne

Hi D,

Carol Doak has a paper piecing group at Yahoo Groups, she shares some free block patterns with them.

The group goes by her name, Carol Doak, and of course is free to join, simply sign up.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juliea9967
    This is the first paper piecing I had done. It is a Judy Neimeyer pattern and she has a special way to do paper piecing. Her patterns supply all the paper you need, and they are awesome. You can see all her patterns and quilts at
    www.quiltworx.com
    We've had classes for her Pepper Dish pattern for brand new quilters, and they have done fine.
    Don't be afraid to try whatever you like.
    And if you get stuck, just ask us for help.
    I like this quilt so much!! Even the colors are my favorites. What is the name of the pattern, please? I looked at the website, but didn't see this particular one. Would you please send the info by pm? I would appreciate it so much.

beautiful,I hope mine looks as good, love the colors

go for it, I 'm finding out paper piecing ism't as difficult as I thought,my mariners compass is comming along quilt well, I'm just slow,too many projects going at the same time

thanks for the info. andvideo. everyone has been so much help, I never knew there wewe such knowledgeable and nice quilters.wonderful.

d. swindle

Quote Originally Posted by Qbee
    Wow...I don't know that I would do a Mariner's Compass as my very first PP project! But...hey....you may do fine. My first paper piece project was the Houses BOM here on the QB and I have become somewhat addicted since...LOL. Here is what I used to learn...It is a you tube video done by Connecting Threads and it was VERY helpful to me. I watched several others but for me, this was the most helpful. I literally had my laptop right by my sewing machine the first couple of times. The two most important things to remember "wrong side to wrong side" and being careful to double check before you cut. Here is the video and GOOD LUCK!! :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gK...eature=related

I hope that helps....let us see your work when you are done :D

Quote Originally Posted by d.swindle
    I have a mariners compass patern that calls for paper piecing and I have never done this ,,,Help

D.swindle
    I have been paper piecing for all of six months and thought I was doing okay but still had problems. When I saw this video it all clicked and as long as you remember to use the ruler before you cut (ask how I know), this is the best bar none, tutorial out there!!! It really helps line up the fabric for the next pieces. I now love paper piecing while as before I just did it to get the result I wanted. Thank you so much for this link.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2