Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Paper piecing ?

Paper piecing ?

I am trying to copy some pp patterns from a book to make a little quilt. I use my scanner and vellum, but the patterns are not coming out accurate. Do others have this problem, and what do you do?
    Thanks

Do you mean that the paper copies are not coming out right, or that your paper pieced fabric block is not right? If it's the paper copies, do you mean that the size is wrong? Or it is distorted? I don't use a scanner (I just photocopy the pattern from the book) so that might be where a distortion is occurring, if that is the problem.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you scan with "no scaling" on and print the same way. Can you just "copy" to the paper?
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

When I scan a copy of the pattern and hold it up to the original it is slightly off. When you say you photocopy, do you go to a copy place to do it?
    Thanks

Don't scan it. Copy from the book. They sell a special copy paper for paper piecing that is a tad bit lighter in weight thn copy paper and is easy to tear off. I like using that and it goes through the printer just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan in AK View Post
    When I scan a copy of the pattern and hold it up to the original it is slightly off. When you say you photocopy, do you go to a copy place to do it?
    Thanks
    I copy using my laserjet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I just use my scanner as a copier - most can scan, copy or print. You can tape special paper to normal copy paper, too and feed it one page at a time.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

The pattern is from a book.I have the vellum paper for paper piecing I have an ink jet printer. The only way to copy for me is to scan. Would it help to attach the vellum paper to regular copy paper . I get good copies from regular comp paper but that is too heavy. I guess the only other way is to go to a place like Kinko's.

Blog Entries
    I guess this is a test to see if your copies get distorted from copying. On your original, make a pencil line that is exactly 1" long. Make one copy and measure that line. If it is an inch, it is ok to continue to copy. If not, you may have to enlarge or reduce by a few %'s. Hope this answers your question.

Sandra
    There is a distortion. The copy is not the same as the pattern from the book. I need to find out if I can enlarge or reduce as you suggest.

I don't think I can adjust my printer so I guess I need to go to a copy center.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I copy using my laserjet.
    Woops, make that my inkjet. I haven't had a laserjet in years!

The pattern is from a book.I have the vellum paper for paper piecing I have an ink jet printer. The only way to copy for me is to scan. Would it help to attach the vellum paper to regular copy paper . I get good copies from regular comp paper but that is too heavy. I guess the only other way is to go to a place like Kinko's.
    You can use regular paper .... I use 20 lb copy paper, and it works just fine for PPing ... the trick is to have your stitches very short.

When you say distorted .... are you saying that it is not the same size? Or that the lines are not coming out straight? and that the units are wonky? If you're not getting your book/page laying perfectly flat, that will distort the output.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I was just going to say what QuiltE said. You have to press the lid down hard on a book (but don't break the lid!). If it's curved up (toward the spine) you'll get a distorted picture.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    I usually make one opy onto plain paper then use that if it is acurats as my template to copy from so I dont have a bulky magazine/ book in the printer

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    Is it a uniform incorrect size or just in a single area?? As I would think if it was just one side or just an area the original is not sitting on the scanner like the rest of the pattern. But if the whole thing is off then I would think once its scanned in you need to resize the image before you print it off on your paper.

If it's distorted because you can't lay the book flat enough on the scanner bed then ....

Place the vellum over the page in the book and very carefully trace the pattern with pencil (so you can erase and fix!). The traced image will lay nice and flat in the scanner bed so then you can make multiple copies of it.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota View Post
    I guess this is a test to see if your copies get distorted from copying. On your original, make a pencil line that is exactly 1" long. Make one copy and measure that line. If it is an inch, it is ok to continue to copy. If not, you may have to enlarge or reduce by a few %'s. Hope this answers your question.
    First be sure that the pattern in the book is "real" size. And, check to see if there is a 1" square on the pattern sheet.(This is your guide.) If there is no square, find a corner and draw one.

When you scan your page be sure to press down on the book to be sure to get a good flat surfact to scan. If the paper curls it can distort the scan. Check the test square to see if it is still 1" square. If not, the problem is in the scanner. You will need to check how you are printing the scan. Go to the advanced settings from your print options. Be sure that you are printing full size and not fit to page or center. I hope that this helps.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

Two points:

1] I use 25% rag vellum for PP as it is easier to work with for me .... I bought a whole bunch from Office Depot. They also ship if needed.

2] If you know someone with an Electric Quilt program, they can make the block for you and print it out. Then you can copy that.

I have EQ if you need help and we can always e-mail, if you don't have someone close to do it for you.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I did try again. I put a 1inch mark at the top of the pattern page. I made sure the book was lying very flat when it was scanned. I first used regular comp paper. It copied fine. The inch marks matched up. Then I tried vellum ( 25% rag vellum from Office Max). The inch marks did not line up. The vellum copy was a little off. I think the printer doesn't like the vellum.
    Thank you Alikat for your offer of help. I can use regular comp paper, but I am going to look into why my computer won't print on the vellum.

Blog Entries

paper piecing

I have been using onion skin traced the designs as print machine knows the difference. Gonna try this. Make a regular copy. Layer several sheets of onion skin under--- around edges staple to secure to copy paper. Go to machine using no thread and sew through all copies on the designated lines. Be sure to number the patterns, use a longer stitch going to smaller stitch when paper piecing.