Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PAPER PIECING >

PAPER PIECING

PAPER PIECING

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

I am making the coolest quilt for my mother for Christmas - it's called "A few of my favorite things" and has about a dozen paper pieced blocks surrounding a Christmas Tree...the only problem is that when I paper piece, I end up undoing and redoing so many times, I feel like I should have three of the object when I've finished instead of just the one! One of the blocks was a margarita glass, and by the time I finished it I needed one!

Does anyone have any helpful hints when paper piecing?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

Can't help with paper piecing, but want to wish you Good Luck and it will get better.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I write down on the back of the block what fabric goes where, if I think I may get confused.

I print out several extra copies of the block, cut them up and use them as templates for cutting my fabric. BUT remember, to place the templates up side down on your fabric, AND the fabric must be right side up (printed side of paper facing right side of fabric.)

I cut the pieces about a 1/2"inch bigger all the way around, if there are long and narrow angles then I cut them one inch bogger all around. Remember, these pieces do NOT have seam allowances, so using these figures should give you ample wiggle room :wink:
Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

The only hint I can offer is have your pieces at least a half inch all around bigger then the unit (including the seam allowances). I know it seems like a waste of fabric but it is the only thing that keeps me from shorting myself. Sometimes I go even bigger. I will measure the individual unit on the pattern at it's longest point and widest point then add an inch and cut my fabric to that size. I still sometimes manage to short myself. But sometimes I get really lucky and when I cut it down to prep for my next unit I may have a big enough sized piece for another unit of the same color.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Using templates as Amma suggested really helped me. Without templates, I drive myself crazy.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

This pattern sounds really interesting. Is it a pattern you have designed yourself or one that you found somewhere. I would love to see a picture or a link to the pattern.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
This pattern sounds really interesting. Is it a pattern you have designed yourself or one that you found somewhere. I would love to see a picture or a link to the pattern.
This is the best I could get to scan. There are blocks on either side of the Christmas tree, with Santa having flown around the Christmas Tree to the upper left quadrant. Beneath the blocks under the Christmas Tree will be a beach scene the width of the quilt. It will be the size of a stadium throw, so she can cuddle while watching TV.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-98421.pdf (46.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
This is the best I could get to scan. There are blocks on either side of the Christmas tree, with Santa having flown around the Christmas Tree to the upper left quadrant. Beneath the blocks under the Christmas Tree will be a beach scene the width of the quilt. It will be the size of a stadium throw, so she can cuddle while watching TV.
That is Soooo cute, she is going to love it. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I write down on the back of the block what fabric goes where, if I think I may get confused.

I print out several extra copies of the block, cut them up and use them as templates for cutting my fabric. BUT remember, to place the templates up side down on your fabric, AND the fabric must be right side up (printed side of paper facing right side of fabric.)

I cut the pieces about a 1/2"inch bigger all the way around, if there are long and narrow angles then I cut them one inch bogger all around. Remember, these pieces do NOT have seam allowances, so using these figures should give you ample wiggle room :wink:
This is also what I did to quit ruining fabric in the beginning. I still have to cut a foundation up for templates if the block has weird angles.

A faster method (but wastes fabric) is to measure the piece to be cut at it's widest points. Add at least 1/2 inch to both those measurements--3/4" would be better and cut your fabrics in those size chunks. This works very well except for on those odd angles. I have to resort to templates for those every time or cut my chunks out way, way larger than needed. Even the simple looking Peaky & Spike block with it's mirrored odd shaped triangles will get me if I don't template cut it and then keep my pieces with the appropriate left or right template.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Another tip for placing your fabric piece before sewing: Turn pattern face up and place a pin straight thru (vertically) the line where you are to begin and one pin at the end of the line. Carefully turn over pattern and place your fabric piece on the top pin and the bottom pin. This way you can see if you have enough for a 1/4" seam, and enough on the top and bottom to cover the area. And most importantly, you can see that after you sew the fabric piece down, trim it and fold it over, that it is covering the correct area! I can't tell you HOW many times when I first started PPing, I had the fabric placed on the wrong side of the line. The other important thing to remember, that any fabric piece that covers any edge, MUST extend 1/2" BEYOND your block cutting line. They say 1/4" beyond, but believe me, 1/2" is much better - Give yourself plenty of fabric for those edge pieces.