Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paper Piecing Tips for Better Success .... >

Paper Piecing Tips for Better Success ....

Paper Piecing Tips for Better Success ....

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM

I like to use freezer paper. That way the fabric sticks to the backing as I am sewing. It tears pretty easy, too.
Sue
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
When using the Add A Quarter ruler, are you placing a postcard on the stitching line then butting the lip of the ruler on the edge of the card. You might be more comfortable with the same AAQ ruler in the 12" size.
[/quote]

I have the 12" ruler ... and no, I don't really find it any better than the 6" one!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM

I use whatever washable glue stick is cheapest at the time.

I prefer to use newsprint or Big Chief tablet paper as it will run through the printer without jamming but the easiest peeling paper I ever used was the old typewriter paper. It's hard to find it now, though. Thin copy paper is as close as you can get to it now.

I still haven't tried the removable freezer paper type. Still on my to-do list.

I just eyeball my seam allowance, fold back the paper and trim with embroidery scissors after every piece.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:49 AM

Check out a book by Cheryl Malkowski, "Blocks to Diamonds". She's come up w/ a way to use freezer paper and not have to remove the paper after you stitch because you don't sew thru the paper. You stitch w/a threadless needle first thru all your patterns on the sew line, press pattern to fabric,then fold on the perforated line and sew next to the fold. It works so slick!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
When using the Add A Quarter ruler, are you placing a postcard on the stitching line then butting the lip of the ruler on the edge of the card. You might be more comfortable with the same AAQ ruler in the 12" size.
I have the 12" ruler ... and no, I don't really find it any better than the 6" one![/quote]

I dont like the 12" either, just thought you might find it easier to use. I dont know how anyone does PP without the postcard and the ruler. Thats the way I learned from Carol Doak and never tried anything else as successful. I teach her methods in classes with great results.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
I have the 12" ruler ... and no, I don't really find it any better than the 6" one!
I dont like the 12" either, just thought you might find it easier to use. I dont know how anyone does PP without the postcard and the ruler. Thats the way I learned from Carol Doak and never tried anything else as successful. I teach her methods in classes with great results.[/quote]

I agree...love those rulers have both the 6 and 12 and use them whenever I PP
Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM

I use the 75/11 neeedles so the holes are small and perforated...also use a ruler that was designed by the quilter who taught the class at the Mancuso Quilt festival -George Sciliano