Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by megs0863
I shorten my old sturdy ironing board to use as a table when I'm sitting down or working on small projects. I have used the end of the ironing board as a pin cushion too (can't have enough pin cushions lying around!) Also, I've recently recycled an old TV cart with wheels for a mobile storage unit. I use a large clear bin for scraps so I can pull out little pieces in a jiffy when making small items or embellishing things. I use the end of my lint brush for a stylist. One of my favorite hints learned from my sewing machine dealer is using a curved nail scissors for seam ripping & cutting threads for embroidery.
Try using an eyebrow trimmer instead of a seam ripper, they're cheap and work great!!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by saraaev
I was just taught to flip the blade over, give it a small squirt of machine oil, run it over some aluminum foil and then scrap fabric to get rid of the oil and you'll double the like of each blade. Happy cutting.Sara
I've heard that if you put two dinged rotary blades together on your cutter they'll cut like new unless the dings end up lining up perfectly...but what are the chances of that?!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by JT
Originally Posted by anicra
Originally Posted by fayzer
I buy the bright colored pencil erasers from the Dollar Tree. I snip off the part of the erasers that fits over the Pencil. I use the part that is left (kinda-sorta pyramid shaped) when pinning layers together. Stick your long pins through the layers and into the flat part of the eraser. Keeps me from sticking myself with the pins as I work. I am on blood thinners and one stick from a pin results in blood on my fabric.
What a great idea. I'm going to a local quilt show next weekend and was thinking of buying Pinmoors. I imagine the eraser tops are much more cost effective. Thanks!
Another idea would be to use ear plugs (we have little yellow ones) Maybe check harbor freight. I would think they would be pretty cheap too.
Little pieces of weather stripping also work(I stole a strip from the man cave). This is particularly effective because they have adhesive backing on them.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by skjack
A friend of mine uses a empty tissue box for thread and tiny scraps then when full just throws it away. We have found out about another person that uses all of the tiny scraps( trimmings from square up etc) as filling in projects so will give her the tissue box when full. I have taped a bag to my cutting table and am putting these into it for her.
Please don't put your longer threads in there if the scraps will be used for pet beds. If for any reason the bed springs a 'leak; the pet might chew on the threads and possibly choke
Old 02-27-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
I was just taught to flip the blade over, give it a small squirt of machine oil, run it over some aluminum foil and then scrap fabric to get rid of the oil and you'll double the like of each blade. Happy cutting.Sara
I've heard that if you put two dinged rotary blades together on your cutter they'll cut like new unless the dings end up lining up perfectly...but what are the chances of that?!
I put in two new blades accidentally and it made a shredded mess...
Old 02-27-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ceil
I put in two new blades accidentally and it made a shredded mess...
I've not tried it myself...perhaps it would work best on 18 or 28mm blades, the larger ones probably can bend and separate from each other, creating two parallel cuts. Think I'll give it a try...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheCubbyHole
I recently started a class and wanted a bag on wheels for my Janome MC6500. After looking at several I asked my mother-in-law what she used. Several of her friends recently bought a tool bag from Harbor Freight. I just got mine it has a total of 21 pockets, handle for carrying or you can extend a handle for the wheels. Best of all it was on sale for $19.99 it is reg. prices like $24.99. She also told me that she just bought rotary blades from there called carpet blades. They come in 2 pkg for $1.99
I loved your tote idea..so I went to Harbor Freight and they had 2 of the above on hand..I bought one...they are awesome!!! Now I can put my machine and supplies all in one handy bag & pull it on wheels...it has the 21 pockets and it's sturdy...also got 2 pkg of the blades for $1.49 on sale..2 blades per pkg...THANKYOU for this idea...
Old 02-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I can not take credit for this tip because I learned it from a post on the Quiltingboard. I have started saving my plastic (see through) food containers. They serve many purposes in my sewing room. I like them more than my $$$ purchashed Steralite containers because I can see through them better.
I cover my 'work bed' with plastic, when guest come the bedding is still clean and lint free.
I have enjoyed this post. Thank you for all the tips and tricks.
Wow I LOVE this idea! Thanks!

Oh, oooh! I have another one... I use empty TicTac containers to hold beads for embellishing
This is so funny to see. My DH is always yelling to toss those containers and why save them ok, I save everything! So now I know what to use them for in quilting......haha! Now, I orig. kept them for soap making when u have diff. ones with designs in them for soap.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Originally Posted by gellybean402
I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!
Very smart!
This is not my tip but read it the other day on a blog somewhere. Take your old dryer sheets, use them as backing for applique work. Do u know the money u can save on that one?!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
1. I used to use sticky Velcro to keep a needle threader attached to my sewing machine since I could not see the hole in the needle. My new hero is the charming lady I bought my new machine from. I did not know you could buy machines now, that thread themselves! (If it ever breaks, the depression may kill me!) LOL!

2. FMQ is very hard for me, but a wonderful member here, posted a link where they were using a 'walking foot'. I had never seen that either. Now, I can quilt my own quilts.

3. My quilting board family will help with nearly any problem with sewing. You are all amazing. How did I ever sew without you?
I would love to c that link on the walking foot, want to try and do FMQ on just my machine