Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM

I've done this too! Just lay down the dental floss and zig zag over it taking care to not catch it in your thread. Then you just draw it up as much as you want. It won't break like regular thread and goes so quick! I keep a package of floss in my sewing box for this at all times!

I have done this with any heavier thread. Even button and carpet thread to zig zag over. Works very well. Is very adjustable.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
I've done this too! Just lay down the dental floss and zig zag over it taking care to not catch it in your thread. Then you just draw it up as much as you want. It won't break like regular thread and goes so quick! I keep a package of floss in my sewing box for this at all times!
Good heavens. What a simple solution. I'd never, ever have though of that.[/quote]

Fishing line works too!
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Great ideas. I had see the glass jar for a cone holder. Thanks all for sharing. I have plastic shoe boxes marked with different widths and when I finish a project put the left overs in the appropriate size.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pattyjo7686
That is a good one I have problems with that long thread holder to. I am new tonight and someone told me to come here for advice and look I have already learned something on the first thing I read.
Thanks must read on..
Welcome Pattyjo7686. I hope you come by regularly to visit! :-D
Old 02-28-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheCubbyHole
Several of her friends recently bought a tool bag from Harbor Freight. I just got mine it has a total of 21 pockets, handle for carrying or you can extend a handle for the wheels.
Is this the one that you bought? http://www.harborfreight.com/20-inch...=googlebase&mr:trackingCode=BC670F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA
Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
I have use the black office binder clips for holding together the layers of an interfaced tote bag that were way too thick to pin together. That worked very good!
DD wants to write a book called 101 uses for binder clips---I already gave this one to her. Glad to hear others use them for that! I use them to hold the folds of a quilt that I was lap quilting.
Here is one more for your daughter....I just took an online class for making mohair teddy bears. One of the ways to hold the pieces together (because the fabric is so thick) for sewing (a lot of teddy bear makers hand sew their teddies) is to use the binder clips instead of basting.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by jumpin' judy
1. While wandering around in Harbor Freight I found these large plastic bins. They are $2.99 and hold about 20 yards of fabric. My shelves are too deep to use the mini bolts, so these bins work better for me.
I love these!! Can you tell me what their measurements are, please?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

I wish we had a Harbor Freight...
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM

I've almost forgot to mention my best tip....
I clean the sole plate of my iron with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser- it works no matter how bad your iron is, and I haven't had to buy that goop iron cleaner in years! remember that stuff? yuck.
I'm not sure if the eraser will work on teflon sole plates, mine is stainless steel.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ceil
Originally Posted by Baloonatic
Originally Posted by saraaev
I was just taught to flip the blade over, give it a small squirt of machine oil, run it over some aluminum foil and then scrap fabric to get rid of the oil and you'll double the like of each blade. Happy cutting.Sara
I've heard that if you put two dinged rotary blades together on your cutter they'll cut like new unless the dings end up lining up perfectly...but what are the chances of that?!
I put in two new blades accidentally and it made a shredded mess...
I have done this also, and it took awhile to figure out what was wrong.