Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 AM

Could you maybe use the super market plastic bags for this? Especially if you were doing the fabric on top and the tissue on the bottom? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

I think you can. There was a tut on etsy labs a while back using plastic market bags sandwiched between parchment paper. They recomended at least 6 layers of bags to avoid little holes in the plastic. Also it recommended to do this only with good ventilationtion as it could produce toxic fumes. This produces a material that can be used (according to them) to sew strong shopping bags.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I washed an empty juice jug and cut off the top, then inserted it into my thread catcher. I just remove the jug to empty my threads at the end of the day. No more picking loose threads out of the bottomand off the sides of the thread catcher.

Also, I use a tool box for quilt guild and UFO days. Here are photos of my best idea for transporting my quilting gear.

Yellow tray in middle holds needles and other small needs. It swings out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]138188[/ATTACH]
Who is the maker of your tool box? This looks perfect for classes and such!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Earleen View Post
I use my banana hanger to hold shears, and rotary cutters they hang on ther just right and it does not take up much room on the sewing table.
I have been wondering what to do with that crazy banana hanger. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM

I have two boxes of the 3/4 inch binding clips, I use them to hold my quilt binding in place while I hand stitch it in place. They are inexpensive and hold very snugly, I can flip the little arms all down and put it away without any coming off or catching until I go back to my project.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pineneedles4 View Post
Another tip! I bought a makeup kit that came with very nice, very thick and expensive brushes for everything. I took one of the shorter handled, thick powder brushes to use for cleaning lint from my machine! It works so much better than the cheap plastic brushes sold for this purpose.

Vanessa in Oklahoma
I use a small house paint brush less than an inch wide, I also use it for dusting crevices along woodwork or knick knacks
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM

I use the empty M&M mini containers for the bobbins for my embroidery machine. One for new and one for used that way I know which ones are for sewing and which are for embroidery.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM

When doing my binding. I fold the 45 degree and then with a purple marker, I mark where to stop sewing. My corners all come out nice since I started doing this.
Mary Booth
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grammy o'5 View Post
What a great idea using jars for the thread! I've been trying to figure out something for mine, I'll give it a try.
save your threads and put them in trees for birds to use in their nest next spring
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM

Default Rubber gloves

Originally Posted by lfw045 View Post
I like finger cots for ease of pulling the needle through when hand quilting.
I bought the silicone finger tips for ironing tiny bits for applique but ended up using them for hand quilting. A friend told me to just buy a smaller size than usual of rubber gloves and cut the tips off of the fingers. It works great I wore out my silicone finger tips hand quilting and now I use the ends of the rubber glove fingers.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM

I just remembered my favorite idea..my applique board. I started with a piece of plywood with vinyl stapled on it but the corners caught my long threads..I hate to thread needles. I got the laptop desk from Wal Mart and sewed a little pocket cover with the no slip stuff on the front.

What a lot of great ideas on this thread, had a fun time reading them all.
Attached Thumbnails img_4732.jpg   img_4731.jpg   img_4730.jpg