Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting >

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Pass On The Best Idea You've Had While Quilting

Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 AM

I save all the plastic containers that mints,gum or candy come in. "ice breakers"gum is in a round, flat container with a snap up lid. I can fit 8 bobbins in it for travel. Bought DD chocolate pearls $$ in a tin container at Michaels checkout. Cannot wait to grab that when she is done. Use your imagination they can be used fo any small sewing storage.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:09 AM

What is 505?

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I needed to make a pattern for handquilting that I could put on my candlemat without tracing the design on the material with something that might not come off.

I printed the design by spraying 505 on to a piece of tracing paper, laying it on piece of printer paper smoothly and then running it through my inkjet printer to print the design on the tracing paper.

Then I carefully removed the printer paper from the tracing paper and had exactly what I wanted which I laid onto the fabric. It stayed in place becuause of the 505 that was on it and I added a couple of pins for stability.

I have no idea what special paper to print patterns would cost, but this works well and is always on hand to set up a design of my own choice from whatever source. It also pulls away from the stitching when I am done without a problem.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I would be very careful about this. I was told when I bought my machine that anything magnetic can screw up your machine. Just like the computer you are using now, there are computer parts in the new machines. Even the pin holders you can buy to have you pins out in you should keep a distance from your machine. You may want to check with your dealer before you attach the magnetic strip to your machine. JMHO

Originally Posted by Carron
I glued a narrow magnetic strip across the top front of my sewing machine. Then when I am sewing something that has the straight pins and as they approach the needle, I pull them out and stick them onto the magnetic strip. Nothing falling onto the floor or worse into the lap.
This only works on the older non electronic machines. I have a magnetic strip on my older Kenmore that works perfectly.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
I have use the black office binder clips for holding together the layers of an interfaced tote bag that were way too thick to pin together. That worked very good!
DD wants to write a book called 101 uses for binder clips---I already gave this one to her. Glad to hear others use them for that! I use them to hold the folds of a quilt that I was lap quilting.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I have a very large heavy glass beer stein for that purpose. My quilt friends come over and use it too.
For beer or thread?? :lol:
Old 02-26-2011, 06:17 AM

You know those bags with pieces of tape that they use in hospitals to attach to a patient's bedside table for trash? I tape one to my ironing board as my thread garbage bag.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM

I always seem to rip a pattern after one use so I trace the pattern onto a piece of interfacing (including all the markings) and cut it out. Now I have a pattern that won't tear and is very durable and will last forever!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 AM

One of my biggest problems is my cat. She would get up right behind my sewing machine and play with the strips coming out. I finally put a little chest right next to my sewing machine and made a little polar fleece top for it. Now she sleeps on that chest and stays away from my sewing machine. It is great, she is still right next to me but she doesn't get in my way any more. She is my sewing buddy.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM

I ran around for weeks looking for the perfect container to refill the iron at my church sewing group. I wanted one like I have for my own iron, but never found one. One day someone left their bottled water in our sewing room, just one of those simple disposable water bottles like you can buy at any store by the case. The mouth is small and easy to fill the iron, it holds 3 refills, and I don't have to tote the hot iron to the bathroom to fill it!

I use a strip of masking tape at the 1/4 inch mark to keep my seams perfect.

When I'm piecing, I try to plan my seams so that they will 'nest' when I go to sew my blocks together. Also when I have seams coming together in the middle, I iron them so they twirl around the center. To do that, I've had to learn to refrain from backstitching.

I've learned that when you ask a friend (or a husband) for their opinion, it's OK to NOT feel you have to take it as gospel. It's THEIR opinion... it's YOUR quilt! But I've NOT learned how to convince THEM that it's ok....

I have no idea if this is common knowledge, but I use two rulers when cutting. I am a right-hander. I use one ruler to measure from the right edge of the fabric to my cutting line, and I then butt my 6x24" ruler against the left side of the first ruler to make my cut. That way I always have the bulk of the fabric firmly under my ruler where it can't slip when cutting, and is especially useful when cutting narrow strips.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
Speaking of cleaning out the lint.... I use pipe cleaners for that. They are long enough to reach way down in the bottom corners and thin enough to pass between the plate and the bobbin thingy.

I took a class from Jill Schumacher awhile back, she taught the pipe cleaner trick to us and stressed how important it is to clean out the lint from the bobbin area at each and every bobbin change