Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pat Sloan binding method

Pat Sloan binding method

Over the weekend I stumbled on this binding tutorial from Pat Sloan where she uses a blanket stitch.

Has anyone here done this? I like the way it looks and I am thinking I will try this.

Does hold up as well as a straight stitch?

http://www.patsloan.com/pat-sloan-ma...mments/page/2/

I have a dear friend who uses decorative stitching for her binding. You can't get an accurate straight stitch when sewing on so much bulk.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've done something similar. I cut my binding 2 1/4", machine sew to the back, fold to the front and blanket stitch. My machine allows me to use decorative stitches with my walking foot. I get very even coverage. Don't have any 25 year old quilts to check on, but several kids' draggers, washed many times, seems to hold up just fine.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have used the blanket stitch on the binding, seems to hold up fine. I have also used a decorative stitch on the binding, just to give it a "little" something.

Just a note--I knew Pat Sloan way back in the 80s. She knew more about computers then than most folks did. She was determined to find a way to meld quilts and computers. And I'd say she was very successful. I am so happy to see her thriving. Nice, Nice Lady!!

Thanks guys!! I think I am going to try the blanket stitch border this evening

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Love this tute. Thanks for sharing.

I saved the pdf of her instructions - think I'll try this on the next kid quilt I do. It looks like a durable way to finish the binding.
    Thanks for posting the link.

Let us know how it went Teresa!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I just tried it. It wasn't perfect, but pretty good for my first try Its a kids quilt.. its a bright stripe and I put a black binding on. I used black thread so when I got off track the black really stood out against the bright fabric. I think if the colors would not have been so different from each other the spots I was off wouldn't show up nearly as much.

The corners were my biggest problem.. something to think about for next time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks, Meyert I liked the tutorial I will try this thanks for sharing.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    The corners were my biggest problem.. something to think about for next time
    Somewhere I learned that when you come to a corner, turn up the bottom first, then flip over the side you are working on. The bottom is much less likely to move out of place and get wonky. The stylus is very important, too.

I have done this way of putting on binding numerous times, but with ordinary two layer binding. Works very well.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Great find! Thanks for sharing. I'll give this a try. I have tried other decorative stitches but never the blanket stitch