Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patching an old quilt >

Patching an old quilt

Patching an old quilt

Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM

Question Patching an old quilt

Have any of you patched up an old, old quilt that was tattered and also needed binding? I would really like to do this on a quilt for my dsil for next Christmas but haven't ever done this or any type of applique. Any Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 PM

I have. Just take each problem one at a time and do the best you can do with it. There is a real satisfaction in restoring an old quilt. One that I did had a hole about 6" in diameter that a dog had chewed right in the center. I just took my time and it turned out great. The owner was really pleased.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

There is something very satisfying about restoring an old quilt, especially if the quilt has a special place in someone's life.

I did this a couple of years ago for a family who had lost their 18-yr-old daughter in a car accident. She also happened to be my youngest daughter's best friend. The girl had been given an old quilt by her mother when she was very young. It was one of her most prized possessions. It went everywhere with her and she literally loved it to pieces. The quilt was in the car the night of her accident. It was found dirty, torn and wet with rain and blood. Some well-meaning person put it in the washer and dryer before returning it to the family. You can imagine the shape it was in when I got hold of it.

I spent weeks on that quilt, carefully picking out fabrics that came as close as I could get to the ones I needed to replace. I prewashed and re-washed, and even "faded" a few of the new fabrics with a mild bleach solution so they would look and feel worn like the rest of the quilt. Fortunately the quilt was made up of only two different shaped patches, so I traced each one and made a plastic template, then cut dozens of new patches, adding about a 3/8" seam allowance all the way around. Then I sat and needle-turn appliqued all those new patches over the torn pieces. I think I counted once and I had replaced over 1/4 of the quilt. In some places I had to cut a piece of batting to fit where it had completely worn away and baste that in place before I put the applique patch on. Strangely, the backing fabric was completely intact. I hand-quilted the new patches following the quilting pattern in the rest of the quilt, then unstitched and replaced the entire original binding.

This was a true labor of love. It was nit-picking and tedious, but the process was therapeutic for me and for my daughter as I worked on it. This girl had been almost like one of my own children through the years. It was an unforgettable feeling when I was able to hand the restored quilt back to her parents. I know it is a comfort to them and to Heather's sisters in her absence. It was the greatest compliment to my hard work when her mom told me she couldn't tell the new patches from the old. It looked just like Heather's quilt.

One other suggestion. Be sure to take before and after photos, and even of the progress. I did not and I really regret it.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM

I recently did repairs on both my DD's baby quilts that are 36 years old. I did the repairs on the machine and didn't fuss with replacing any of the worn out material. She just wanted them fixed up enough so she wouldn't have to throw them away. For the binding I just covered what was left of the old binding.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 AM

For Christmas, my sister brought me a quilt our mother had made her 45 years ago. It was the first quilt mother made. It was a double wedding quilt for my sister's wedding. Mother had used my sister's old dresses for the wedding rings so the quilt had lots of sentimental value. Unfortunately, my sister left the quilt with her ex-husband who had used it as a bed for his cats for decades. As you can imagine, the quilt is in shreads and the smell went over my entire house. I don't know why; but my mother did all of the hand piecing with #8 thread. Over 1/2 of the fabric in each of the wedding rings must be replaced and about 3/4 of the stitching has come out. I PM Jcrow and asked her what to do. She suggested tea dying the fabric I was using as replacement pieces. That worked wonders! So far, I have completed only a few blocks; but the one's I have finished look wonderful. I am using starch appliqué and making the repairs with #100 silk thread so you don't see any of my stitches. Fortunately, the binding, background and backing fabric held up and the hand quilting was done with quilting thread so that is fine. I figure that it will take me a year to finish and gently wash it as I am only working on it in my spare time. I am so glad I decided to work on repairing Mother's first quilt. I am amazed at how good the repaired areas look.

I encourage you to repair that quilt. If I can do it, I am sure you can. I've only been quilting for 3 years; but have learned so much and received so much encouragement from the people on the board. If I can help you in any way, please PM me.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Thank you all for the encouraging replies. My main problem is arthritis in my hands. i cannot do applique without paying a high price in pain! But I do want to repair this quilt for dsil before next Christmas. I have fabrics that I can tea-dye to make them look older as this looks like what I call a scrappy calico quilt. Simple pattern. I am just wondering if I can machine sew some of the places without losing it's old timey quality. Just have to jump in there and work with it. Will be a true work of love since I am not a patient person when it comes to making something! Will keep you posted.....those who care to know. Thanks again! Happy New Year!