Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: pattern for 4 sided placemats

pattern for 4 sided placemats

looking for a 4 sided place mat pattern

Blog Entries
    hadn't heard of them.. but here's a link to a pattern https://www.quiltingbookspatternsand...ttern-template
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

How do you get the choice of four patterns as the placemat.....how are they connected?...unless you have two halves showing of two different designs. I can't tell how this works by the pattern.

Blog Entries
    They do work with each ( print) being whole when laid out- it’s rather magical , although I cannot really explain it. We made a bunch of these years ago ( 2004-5) they were fun to make. The kids in our sewing school loved choosing their 4 different fabrics and making them.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    How do you get the choice of four patterns as the placemat.....how are they connected?...unless you have two halves showing of two different designs. I can't tell how this works by the pattern.
    I think you fold down the cherries and you have lemons and blueberries. Then you fold down the lemons and you have all blueberries. Then flip it over and you have something else. I think it is something green here.
    But I would think the bulk of that center would be obnoxious in use.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Power Poster
    Is it constructed something like a cloth book?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I think you fold down the cherries and you have lemons and blueberries. Then you fold down the lemons and you have all blueberries. Then flip it over and you have something else. I think it is something green here.
    But I would think the bulk of that center would be obnoxious in use.
    the center does not build up- they lay flat. You can fold them in half for storage if you want.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

How to make these was discussed earlier on this board. There are pictures and a tutorial.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...s-t135841.html

Here's a you tube tutorial on how to make them. If you can get past all the noise & unorganized chaos on the video you can learn how to assemble these place mats. It's actually pretty interesting. Looks like you don't really need a pattern. Just cut all of the pieces the same oval size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDst5wJmYyI
    Last edited by osewme; 04-20-2019 at 05:21 PM.

I don't really get this concept. If you sewed just two fabrics back to back with batting, wouldn't it be easier, and for the same amount of money and similar effort you'd have 2 sets of reversible placemats with the backups staying clean when somebody dumps over the milk?
    “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” ~Maya Angelou.
    One's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Power Poster
    I think I would go with this idea. I am one of those Spillers and tippers. Sigh.

Do they lay flat on the table?