Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern Advice >

Pattern Advice

Pattern Advice

Old 04-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Default Pattern Advice

Hello all, I'm back again.
This month has been one of sudden news- on my father's side, his eldest sister received a diagnosis of early stage breast cancer, she's meeting with her surgeon next week. A comfort quilt pattern immediately popped into my head, bright jewel tones, a cross (she's very religious), and a border with hearts with notes from the family included all the way around. That side of the family is very close.

Then, less than a week later, my mother's older brother, who's been fighting severe sepsis, heart attack, etc, was finally given a diagnoses of metastatic stage IV prostate cancer. Just going through sepsis he insisted that he was considering refusing treatment, he felt awful and was certain he was going to die. I'm a believer that when a person gets that sudden feeling of looming death, it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I believe he will refuse treatment and hope to pass quickly with lots of pain meds. I know I should make him a quilt, also, but I don't feel the same inspiration. He has a painful road ahead, stuck in a cold hospital bed. But I don't know what to quilt a man who doesn't want to fight, but is also mad that he's dying. I do not imagine he will last long. So I need to get both quilts done very quickly. I'm going to be at the fabric store this afternoon. Any suggestions on patterns that are simple, masculine, and come together quickly would be appreciated. I will machine quilt hers so it will withstand repeated washings for the duration of her treatment(s), but will probably hand tie his so it's ready quickly for him.

Last edited by sef0181; 04-05-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:56 AM

I think your best bet is to go with a simple pattern and just use "masculine" colors to achieve your goal of a masculine quilt. For instance, a rail fence with blues, browns, and tans.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

For him I might suggest Warm Wishes with the big squares in one of his interests or a calm outdoor print. I would also suggest dark fleece for the back for softness. The Log Cabin cross pattern is a nice pattern for your aunt.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:07 PM

So sorry that your family is dealing with these illnesses. I can't imagine how I will handle them when and if I ever have to. Here are 3 quilts that I have made. The first one is in flannels for my DS. The second is a stain Glass for my friend fighting cancer who has since died. The third is a quilt that I made for a Board member's wife who was diagnosed with breast cancer some years ago.

Wish that I could help you make these but know that I am with you in spirit. Yolanda
[ATTACH=CONFIG]592282[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]592284[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dans-quilt.jpg   maes-quilt.jpg   cathys-quilt.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

you can always do a nice rag quilt too. fast and nice. (()) to you and yours.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 PM

A quilt done in plaid fabrics would be masculine and you could use just about any pattern that way.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

yolajean, those are great. The one on the right would be perfect for any man.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:09 PM

I threw my husband's together quickly. The chevrons are made by strip piecing, not HSTs, so it was quick and used up scrap fabric. [ATTACH=CONFIG]592305[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0331.jpg  
Old 04-05-2018, 05:03 PM
DJ

Perhaps I'm too late with my response. So sorry for the sad circumstance prompting your post.

I was in a quilt shop today which was like entering a quilt show. They had such lovely samples. Several of them were panels that had been enhanced with borders and coordinating fabrics. They were really gorgeous and would be quick and easy. Many masculine themed panels, too, with forests and animals, including eagles.

Best wishes in your quest. God bless!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:31 PM

I was also thinking of a panel. Search the internet for something related to a sport or outdoor scene he might appreciate. Cut up the panel and get some of the coordinating fabric. Stay close to God in this difficult time.