Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern with center medallion or star >

Pattern with center medallion or star

Pattern with center medallion or star

Old 02-04-2013, 10:39 AM

Default Pattern with center medallion or star

I am making a quilt as a wedding gift for someone who likes Fiestaware colors. Her mom (who is not a quilter) sent me a picture of one she thought she would like (see photo). Does anyone know what this pattern might be? It may be a little more involved than the time I have available to get it done so I am also looking for a pattern with a similar feel to it - something with a center medallion or star. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails allison-fiestaware-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM
MTS
Banned

Don't know the pattern name, although I've seen similar.

But if you look at it closely, it's mostly just a whole bunch of HST blocks - not diamonds - in varying sizes.

Once you decide on your basic grid measurement and color placement, it's really not that difficult.

The quilting is also very nice.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

That is a stunning quilt.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
MTS
Banned

This quilt has been much admired recently:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t210371.html
Quilt info is provided in the thread.

Change the color scheme and it's a whole different quilt.

You can just plop a big star in the middle - no diamond piecing - just 8 pointed stars on point.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Well, here's what I found on the quilt:

"Color Blind by Kristi Hawkins, pieced by Gail Eberle" http://www.mqsshow.org/gallery/photo/159/

scroll down here for some closeups:
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com/2011/01/

Apparently an original design.

Last edited by Mom3; 02-04-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM

there are a lot of tiny blocks---------but there are plenty of big ones, too.

You could always modify the quilt some------the third border in could be made as simple strips, as could the brown/yellow border just inside that. And using a piece of graph paper, you might be able to enlarge the diamonds in the pink/red/l.blue/med. blue/2 purples and green section without losing the feel of the design.

If you take a notion to try to graph it on paper, visually mark off one 1/4 of it, one of the big corners-------because each quarter section is the same, although you'd have to match colors from one quarter section to another.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM

OK - obviously her mother is not a quilter, that is quite an undertaking. Take a look at Calico Carriage Quilt Designs by Debbie Maddy. I have made several of her "No Y Seams" stars and her patterns are great. Stella's Surprise, No Diamonds in the Sky and Carpenter's/Bali Sky revised all have a similiar though simpler look. With the right fabrics I think you could have a winner!!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM

The center looks like "Carpenter star" And also the smaller around the edge. Check on line for free "Carpenter star" pattern. The block itself is easy to make and finishes about 30" square with 2 1/2" border. Borders can be added depending on size yiou want. Also there was recent post showing this pattern. Also Keepsake Quilting book as a pattern that maybe what you are looking for.( of course I can not find the book to get the pattern name. It may have been in the winter book)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM

You guys are great! Thank you Mom3 for identifying the name of the quilt and its creators. I am not trying to "copy" this quilt so much as I would like to do something similar. GrannieAnnie, quiltstringz and bibsister63 - you have all given me some good info. With these suggestions I think I'll be able to put together something with the same feel. You also helped me remember the "Patriots in Petticoats" quilt I've been working on. There's probably more detail in it than I want to do for this one, but it has that look of a center medallion with surrounding blocks and borders. I LOVE this Board!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM

To me it looks like a Jan Krentz pattern. Check her books!!!! I just went online and typed in Lonestar quilts and several similar ones came up. Definite eye candy!!!!!

Last edited by grammysharon; 02-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.