Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pattern help please!

I have four pieces of fabric, all 1/2 a metre... one is a print and the other three are matching colours.

I want to put them together into a quick and simple quilt, nothing fancy because they're not particularly attractive! lol

Any suggestions on a pattern? I thought about D9P, but think you need more colours? And the Warm Wishes looks cool, but not sure that's what I want either.

joy
    what about a rail fence?

That would be quite cool.

These are the fabrics... should have put the print on top, sorry, but you can sort of see what it looks like.

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I Like. A D9P would be nice. Maybe some black added to it. Would make it pop..

hmmmmm...... this was a bad idea... now you've got me thinking.....

these fabrics are flannels, and you've just reminded me I have some black flannel in the same moda marble type pattern. And I have a few others too.

hmmmmmmmmmm.....

THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SIMPLE AND QUICK!!! LOL ;-)

Blog Entries
    On my Flannels it took me a long time to deside what to do with them. I desided to do a D9P on point

I love flannel quilts... so warm and cuddly. This was a pack I bought, only because I liked the pinky/purple fabric on the bottom! lol

We're heading into winter here, so I figure a nice snuggly quilt that I'm not going to fret over will be perfect.

Blog Entries
    Here is what I got started. Mine is for next winter We are into spring or should I say summer This weekend we are going into 80s F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks fantastic!!

What sizes did you use for the 9 patch? I really like that setting. :-)

Blog Entries
    6 1/2 in block.

I to would do the D9......I would add an off white with a small print......for some reason an odd number of colors always looks good so 5 fabrics is what I mean.....good luck finding something.....you'll know it when you see it.....:-)

That's a nice size for the fabric I have. I might have to try that! Thank you :-)

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    I to would do the D9......I would add an off white with a small print......for some reason an odd number of colors always looks good so 5 fabrics is what I mean.....good luck finding something.....you'll know it when you see it.....:-)
    Thanks dude... I think you're right, one more colour would be perfect. I'd better go dig out my flannels!

D9P would be fine or a rail fence, personally, I like the D9P.

joy
    Green would be a nice choice... different from others.

I think green would be better than black, there's green in the print so it would pull that out too.

I'm going to have to give up sleeping, and work, and housework, and eating at this rate! lol

Not sure how meters translate to inches, but I love the fabrics! I use flannel when making rag quilts. they are fun, pretty, cuddly and pretty easy to make, no quilting! Adults enjoy them as much as kids. I made one for an auction and it brought in over $300. If you are inhterested, I can share a pattern with you.
    Judith

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I'm going to have to give up sleeping, and work, and housework, and eating at this rate! lol
    Now, Blue, you've gone too far. I can see giving up work and housework...and possibly sleeping. But for crying out loud, woman, giving up eating?! Do like me.....I nibble and sew, nibble and sew, etc.

Have you done a rag quilt? That's what I like to do with flannels and very easy. The D9 would work for that too.

judee

I have that print. Isn't that a great print? and I love the coordinates. I just love when I see someone on here with the same fabric as me, but, my husband says that with the size of my stash, everyone on here has at least one piece and I shouldn't find it so surprising. :D I have nine different pieces to coordinate and want to try a Sudoku quilt with the fabric. Anything will look good with that combo.

Blog Entries
    Sorry but I am still learning the different patterns. What is a D9?

Blog Entries
    Nice. I agree - you need a 5th fabric. I used to be a floral designer and we were taught that odd numbers are best, which I find has carried over into my quilting. I would go either very light or very dark for the 5th color. Be sure to post the finished product. I like the d9p idea. JMHO

this would be the impossible dream, but if you could find a second print, larger scale, in any two of the colors that match, it would really pop!

Quote Originally Posted by chamby
    Sorry but I am still learning the different patterns. What is a D9?
    Disappearing nine patch. The quilt pictured had nine patches, each patch made with 6.5 inch blocks. Sew your nine patches, then cut them in half, both directions ... then turn each of those four pieces a quarter turn and VIOLA! You have the disappearing nine patch. The quilter chose to make white her major color and varied the contrasting colors in each nine patch, using five colored blocks and four white blocks, is what it looks like to me. It is beautiful, and easy, and fun to make ... I have never made one, but a lady visits the workday at the Post that I do every Tuesday. She uses different colors with not so much white, and it is still an attractive quilt, so I would think that as a scrap quilt it would be great!
    Someone will probably show up with the link that taught me all of this, but in case they dont', I figured I would give you a head start with instructions. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    That would be quite cool.

These are the fabrics... should have put the print on top, sorry, but you can sort of see what it looks like.
    i keep looking at the combo and thinking that the print doesn't look like your style at all. the bold colors, definitely. so, why not put the print aside for now and just go with the solids that i know you like? that will clear the way for whatever you choose to add, print, solid, sillies or what-not.

EDIT: i'm thinking it's a floral pattern. is that not right? a small flowery print?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast