Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern rebel? >

Pattern rebel?

Pattern rebel?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

Default Pattern rebel?

I started cutting my scrap fabrics for the Color Me Happy pattern. It is a really cute crayon quilt with bright colours and white background. It said to cut 20 pieces 2-1/2 by 5 inches pieces for the crayon body. Nope, I want my crayons a little fatter so I cut them 2-1/2 X 5-1/2. Since I am using brights, I decided a black background would make them pop and wounldn't show the dirt on a drag-a-along quilt. I bought some cute black background with coloured crayons on it for the border even the the pattern has just the background fabric. Do you stick to a pattern or use it for your jumping off point?
Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM

I think it's like cooking. Some use the recipe for the starting point, but are ok with adding/removing ingredients to their own tastes, and some like to follow the recipe exactly. I'm relatively new to quilting and either have to follow a pattern exactly or not use one at all. I'm not comfortable altering existing patterns, yet. Have fun "coloring!"
Old 01-22-2015, 11:16 AM

I like the cooking analogy. Some patterns I follow exactly because I like them as is, others I adjust for personal preference or to get the overall size I want.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

Black is such a great color to use with brights. I am certain it is going to be perfect! Can't wait until you post a photo.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:47 AM

I almost always adjust a pattern, usually for the following two reasons.

1. The pattern is a different size than I want. I'm sticking with lap quilts for the time being.
2. I made some sort of mistake and now I have to change everything up to hide it!

I often don't even use a pattern, just a basic design such as nine-patch. I add sashing and borders to make it fit my batting.

I'm a newbie and only do very simple stuff for now.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

I adapt all patterns so I can use my Go to cut the pieces. I don't rotary cut unless I have to. It's surprising how many patterns I want to do there is a die for it in just the right size.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I almost always adjust a pattern, usually for the following two reasons.

2. I made some sort of mistake and now I have to change everything up to hide it!
Haha yup been there done that got the odd quilt scars and scraps to prove it :-)

I also like the cooking anolgy because that's how I cook and quilt something's I follow exactly (not many) others I change so much you can't hardly tell what it was I started with.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM

Tartan, you rebel, you. I follow patterns out of necessity as I don't have the creativity, experience or the confidence that you have. I have made baby quilts "from scratch" with no pattern but nothing larger. Your quilt sounds like it is going to be adorable. I can't wait to see pics.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 PM

I adapt patterns too and some times blend two for a quilt. It's all about personal preference.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

i almost never follow a pattern. i like to make everything unique to my tastes. in fact, i design most of my own quilts in my EQ. and speaking of the title of your thread... i was voted class rebel of my senior class LOL