Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern for sewing kit/tool holder? >

Pattern for sewing kit/tool holder?

Pattern for sewing kit/tool holder?

Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM

I have a pattern for a bucket organizer (that I cannot find right now- of course!) I found a free tutorial that is similar. The one I made has vinyl pockets with scrappy binding on the top of the pockets. I use it at home and to take to class/sewing group.
http://www.doodlecraftblog.com/2013/...e-buckets.html
Old 02-21-2018, 05:28 AM

I purchased a "kit" to make the "Beatle Bag" by Abby Lane Quilt. Query it and you will see what it is...has multiple clear plastic inserts to put stuff in. I have all of the quilting things I usually use in it and when I sew at home I just grab it and take it to the room where I will be sewing (no quilting room for me ) and when I go to retreats it's all ready to go. There is a woman on Face Book clearancing them out at $14.00 I believe, plus shipping. Check it out under Quilting & Sewing Items Selling Buying & Sharing.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:57 AM

My suggestion can be adapted to using either a pattern or making your own. If making your own, lay a large piece of paper on the table (the finished size of your storage roll). Then lay your tools on this mat so that you get the correct size for each slot (this you can also do with an existing pattern). Then lay a paper over the tools and add a bit for any pleats necessary for thick items (such as scissors). Now you have your basic pattern that is custom fit to your preferred tools. If making your own pattern, simply lay 2 fabrics together (maybe with a bit of flannel or thin batting) for the outside roll and fold over another fabric for the pocket. Topstitch the folded edge for strength (maybe even a slot for elastic?) and pin it to the bottom of big piece (taking in account any folds or pleats necessary). Then bind the whole outer edge. Add a tie to the roll and you are done - Custom fitted tool carrier. I would make some notes along the way of what you have done or may want to do differently because you are probably going to be asked about it at the class!
Old 02-21-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone! Going to give it some real thought this weekend. Feathers - I only said the pattern was 80 pages because that was what 2 reviews on craftsy had said but perhaps they were exaggerating - I will look again.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM

I love my bionic gear bag. I don't usually sew from patterns, so it was a bit challenging for me to follow but by reading through the whole thing and then carefully following step by step I managed to produce one. It did take me two entire days. But well worth it, that thing holds a lot and takes up very little space, plus it is organized in a way that makes it very easy to see what you need and grab it while sewing.

Rob
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM

You might take a look at the Puppet Mother Bag on Craftsy. It is a lot like the bionic gear bag, but is only $5.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Default tool tote

My absolute favorite tool tote is called a Tooly. The pattern is on Craftsy. Lots of pockets that hold tools in a nice visible array, plus it stands up so my so my tools are very conveniently located. It folds up to about the size of a moderately sized hard-back book. I changed the closure system slightly, using velcro rather than the elastic loop.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 PM

This is a free pattern from Moda. I would probably add a zipper to the top just to keep things in and make the front pockets from clear viny. https://sew4home.com/projects/storag...om-task-basket

I did a search for Sewing Tool Caddy. Found this website. http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...rganizers.html

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-21-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM

I am a big fan of sewing baskets - my great grandmother had one, my grandmother had one, and my mother had one. So for me it was just what everyone had. Actually I have two - one for home and one that travels - because i would fall apart if I lost it while traveling and it annoys me when I didn't have a separate travel basket and forgot something at home. (So I would go out buy another - so suddenly I had one to keep in the travel sewing basket.) My friend was shocked when I bought a second set of Kai scissor just to keep with my travel machine. But I need good scissors when I am sewing and I love the Kai brand. Back in the 90's I was collecting Longabeger baskets I bought their cake basket with the sewing insert and it has taken care of me. The one that travels with me is not as big - but it gave me an excuse to buy another basket.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:46 PM

The Tooly looks great! I have just bought the pattern so wish me luck! Being an American pattern it took me a while to work out what it meant by mat board but I think it is our mounting board.