Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern sizes

Pattern sizes

Iíve been reading patterns on both the Internet and in magazines and the pattern sizes -to me- just seem strange. Today there was a really pretty pattern I liked but it was 42 x 42. Iím not a really tall person but I am 65 inches. So many of the patterns are, at the most, about 57Ē. I know that in some cases, I can add borders but some you canít. Also do most people like squares for their quilts? I donít make tablecloths out of my quilts so a quilt that is 42x 42 is basically a small childís quilt. But the pattern isnít for a small child. What do you all do, redesign the pattern?

I agree that there are some very strange sized patterns available. I would think something that is 42 inches square would be a wall hanging. If I wanted to make it into a bed sized quilt, I could make 4 times as many blocks--ouch! I'd have to love that block to pieces, to make that many--or I could double the size of the block. If the original is a 6 inch block, it should be quite easy to make it into a 12 inch block.

I have resized many a pattern in my quilting days--and not always bigger either. To me, that is part of the fun--making the pattern my own.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Power Poster
    I only do a square sometimes if it is a wallhanging. I prefer rectangles for quilts and if the pattern is in block form, I add an extra row to the bottom.

bj
    Extra blocks, resized blocks, borders or all of the above. One quilt I enlarged that turned out nicely, I made the quilt center, added a border the same width as the blocks, then added another round of blocks. I then framed it with another border a little narrower than the first one. I liked the end result. Looked like a round robin, only I did all the rounds .
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

I do squares for my tablecloth quilts, about 55 to 60 inches, but i primarily make lap quilts and prefer rectangular ones. I do take into account if the person is tall.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Often my quilts end up being the size they end up. I think many patterns are designed, and the finished size is what it ended up being. It's a lot harder to start with a finished size and work your way back to get the block size.

Making changes to get a different size is only problematic when figuring required yardages.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Some of these odd size patterns are merely there so someone will buy the pattern....42x42 in my mind is a wall hanging.....

I would consider something that measures 42" x 42" more like a wall hanging. If you find a pattern/design you like, draft out a larger version of the quilt. I keep 1/4" grid paper nearby so I can draw up quilt patterns, blocks & designs.
    Jane

I will never make a wall hanging, not ever. I’ve tried to redesign quilt patterns but sometimes it just doesn’t look good afterward and I end up taking it apart. And some I love, but you know it won’t look good any other way except the way it was pieced. I looked through a quick quilt kind of magazine, maybe two or three of them, and not one had a pattern larger than than 57” long. I’m wondering if there is pressure on the designers to get quilt patterns out and so they come up with these small quilts? I’m going to stick to my favorite designers who know how to make beautiful bed quilts.

I've noticed lately that a lot of patterns are square. I don't make wallhangings. If I like a pattern, I add a row or two to the bottom and/or sides to make it the size I want. I don't like adding borders just to make it larger. It seems to me that an extra border or two is taking the lazy way out.

I have noticed the same as everyone else. I like enough quilt to cover my width and tuck under my feet, in case I decide to stretch out on my back. I very seldom follow patterns and just make up my own.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

42x42 is a nice size for a baby quilt.

I do a lot of smaller quilts - as a matter of fact, one of my favorites is 42" by 42". They are lap quilts. I am tall and I use it all the time on my chair. Most of the quilts I have made so far -- and I admit I am NOT prolific, as are some - I have made to be used as lap quilts at a nursing home. You definitely do not want lots of hang over in wheel chairs. I specifically use flannel on the backs to help keep them from sliding. Sometimes I will add an extra row to make it more rectangular, just to add length. Just remember the purpose - and don't assume there are rules. Make them for the purpose - everything can be adjusted somehow. Enjoy the process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180306_170631993[3238].jpg 
Views:	736 
Size:	992.7 KB 
ID:	596578

I agree! I think would encourage projects to get done as they are so much smaller. But in my book, not very useful. We have very little wall space that is large enough for a hanging that is over 3' x 3', and I don't want a bunch of wall hangings anyhow.

My solution is to either make more blocks, if the pattern lends itself to that, or add borders. I loved pieced borders, so possibly two or three pieced then one solid. Just depends on the pattern and what it would adapt well to.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I do a lot of smaller quilts - as a matter of fact, one of my favorites is 42" by 42". They are lap quilts. I am tall and I use it all the time on my chair. Most of the quilts I have made so far -- and I admit I am NOT prolific, as are some - I have made to be used as lap quilts at a nursing home. You definitely do not want lots of hang over in wheel chairs. I specifically use flannel on the backs to help keep them from sliding. Sometimes I will add an extra row to make it more rectangular, just to add length. Just remember the purpose - and don't assume there are rules. Make them for the purpose - everything can be adjusted somehow. Enjoy the process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180306_170631993[3238].jpg 
Views:	736 
Size:	992.7 KB 
ID:	596578
    What is the name of the pattern? I really like it. Thanks.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I make all sizes--some for beds, some for lap quilts for tall people, some for my g-boys that don't need that tall lap yet, some for hanging in my stair well (42") and many for my round dining table (will usually do square or large hexigon shape). But one thing I've noticed is that more smaller quilts on showing up in the magazines & I think this is at least in part the effort to get more people sewing--and if you can quilt it on your domestic machine instead of paying a LAQ, then you will make more small quilts.