Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pattern suggestion needed

ok ya'll. I have 5 yards of this wonderful fabric. i'm aiming to make a queen/king size quilt. What pattern is this fabric calling out to you? ?Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i've noticed my skanner doesn't scan my fabric very well..

Cathedral windows, if you wish to preserve the integrity of the flowers,or some form of Stack and Whack (maybe not the right spelling) if you are willing to use the repitition of the pattern and make something crazy, but in general even a simple 9 patch will work, because once you cut it and sew it up again it will look great.

Maria

Depending on how large the print is, you might try snowball blocks.

How big are the flowers? They seem pretty big in the picture, but it can be hard to tell. I am seeing an Ohio Star with the poinsettias in the center block and reds or greens for the star points.

Pretty fabric. Looking at it, all I see is a Double Irish chain...fussy cut the fabric into squares and use complimentary colors for the chains :)

Hi crkathleen,
    I googled your christmas quilt idea and here is the results! A whole list of projects to choose from. I just love christmas projects.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6345.asp

Sometimes if you check at the fabric sites they have a pattern to download for it free.

What a great site. Thanks, I saved it on my favs.

I see a OBW if the repeat is either 18" or 24". I'm hooked on them though! It's a beautiful piece.

I have no new suggestions but the fabric is beautiful!!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful fabric, I've got an idea - send it to me! LOL

Seriously though, I agree with the suggestions above - some way of making those flowers the 'star'! - I especially like the Ohio star idea with toning fabric for the points!

Can't wait to see what you make!

K x

It's funny I thought cathedral windows too and stars. :lol: I also went online before i posted and found bellaonline. (thanks for the link. didn't see those there earlier) I thought a stack and whack but to afraid to try it. :shock:
    I didn't think about the nine patch but I also saw a pattern awhile back (don't know the name of it) it was a 4 patch on point with a small sashing around it and at the points in the sashing there was a square of fabric in a light color. Anyone familiar with that pattern?
    A double irish chain or snowball would be pretty too....
    The poinsettas are around 4 to 5 inches.
    Thanks

I see a four stack posey .....or a dresden plate done with one of those tools.....with the repeat......kinda like a kaliedascope.....oh that would be pretty......how about a table cloth runners and pot holders and placemats.....ahhh you get the picture......what ever you decide it will be cool....keep us informed.....:-)

i'm thinking fun'n'done with the fussy cuts i the center of each frame. a related color for the frame(s).

That fabric is saying it wants to come live at my house. Tee Hee I like the idea of an Irish chain. Would be beautiful.

I remembered this runner at connecting threads that you might be able to adapt for your quilt ... It is the herbal tablerunner one.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/fre...=3&pagesize=24

I suggest the Baton Rouge block. A center square, where you could center one of the flowers, using solid matching reds and greens for the framing strips. The block is in the United States Capitals Patchwork Patterns book. If you'd like a copy of the pattern, PM me and I will send you a copy of the pattern.

I made the herbal table runner and it goes together fast. It would look fantastic. Mbybe you want a tree skirt to match. use the flowers around the edge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Hi crkathleen,
    I googled your christmas quilt idea and here is the results! A whole list of projects to choose from. I just love christmas projects.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art6345.asp

Sometimes if you check at the fabric sites they have a pattern to download for it free.
    These patterns are wonderful!! I think you would be able to find something here. Be sure to keep us posted, when you decide what you want to do with your Christmas fabic!! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm torn between two patterns, one is the Baton Rouge block from MissAnn and the other is the Garden Patch variation from quilterscache. http://quilterscache.com/G/GardenPat...ock_Page3.html
    Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Oh the garden variety block will be very pretty! Whatever you choose is going to be stunning, that fabric is just gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by crkathleen
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm torn between two patterns, one is the Baton Rouge block from MissAnn and the other is the Garden Patch variation from quilterscache. http://quilterscache.com/G/GardenPat...ock_Page3.html
    Thanks again
    i think someone may have offered, but i also can send you the baton rouge pattern. if yes, pm me.

Hi , what lovely fabric, how about a 4 patch kalidescope? easy to do, need only 4 fabrc repeats any size sq you want. i sew a lot of charity quilts and have used the 4 patch. another idea seeing as the flower is larger use that fabric for the border mainly and you will get the full effect of the fabric. cool grandma