Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric? >

Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric?

Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric?

Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM

How about a Take 5 quilt?
Enlarge it to make a queen.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gayle8675309 View Post
Yes, I am determined to use fabric from my stash. I don't mind buying blenders to go with my fabric, but I do want to use the fabric that I have.

From now on I'm only going to buy fabric in 3 or 4 yard cuts for my stash, but really, I don't think I'll be buying much fabric for my stash. It's just too hard to find quilts to use it in. At least for me it is hard.
I use all my scraps, I make scrap quilts by cutting larger scraps and cut them into squares or rectangles and the smaller scraps sewn to make larger squares or rectangles. Then just sew them together to make the size I want, from throws to queen size quilts. The best part is that no fabric is wrong, they all look like they belong. This year I made throws for a nursing home, I had so many scraps (I also used up my errant fat quarters).

I start with a rectangle appx 13 x 15 and go from there, just adding to it, using smaller sizes sewn together to match the size. They really go fast too.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Yes Braided quilts are fabulous. I have made 4 of them 3 twin sized and 1 king size.
I had a ton of single yards of fabric. Works great
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
This is not just for one pattern, but many different blocks. I hope you are willing to look through for some really neat patterns http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/AlphaBlockList.html
This is a good idea too. I made one using my red and black fabrics. With every block different. Kept that one for myself
Old 12-10-2013, 07:26 AM

After looking at my posts, I had to laugh. I had (have) a ton of scraps (yes) and having been a quilter for many years, also my daughters decided to take it up and folded, so I inherited all their fabric, which most were purchased in 1 to 2 yard pieces, and not all of them I would have chosen. So I have made tons of scrap throws, and quite a few scrap twin to king size quilts.
I start in January making for a nursing home, or children s wing at a hospital, what ever charity I decide for that year.
I hope you decide on a wonderful way to use your yardage, I love scrappy quilts, no two are alike, they are total originals. Remember "in scrappy there's no wrong, every fabric is exactly where it is suppose to be"
Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I'm going to see what kind of replies you get. I'm also interested!
Ditto!! Back in the day, when I first started, I bought only in 2 yd. quantities. Now when I go to find a pattern it seems they take more that 2 yds. Waiting with bated breath.