Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern using 6 Fat Quarters??? >

Pattern using 6 Fat Quarters???

Pattern using 6 Fat Quarters???

Old 12-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

a while back a lay ame to our guild showed us how to use fqs for backings was kind of neat!!also you could use them for scrap quilts
Old 12-13-2015, 05:16 PM

M'Liss Rae Hawley has a couple of really good books called Fat Quarter Quilts that I have enjoyed using. They are designed to use a set of six fat quarters plus a background fabric.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:54 AM

Jaybird patterns that use fat quarters and I believe some of them only require 6 FQ, but you would also have to add a background and would only make a baby quilt but here are some of her patterns....I have just about all her patterns....working on getting the one's I'm missing...She has mini patterns also...I know Ballerina uses 6FQ plus background makes a 36x42", Tiny Dancer makes a quilt 36x56". She includes templates if you don't have the rulers she uses...I've made the Ballerina, and am working on making the Carnival. Here's her site
http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/p/patterns.html you could adapt some of her patterns to use FQ's.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 AM

I have made the Fat Quarter Bag for myself and then made several more as gifts. The bag uses six fat quarters and 2 1/8 yards for handles and lining. It expands to carry quilts, beach towels, overnight items for a sleepover, or as a carryon. It was designed by M'Liss Rae Hawley and can be found in her book "Fat Quarter Quilts."
Old 12-14-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Karen G View Post
I have made the Fat Quarter Bag for myself and then made several more as gifts. The bag uses six fat quarters and 2 1/8 yards for handles and lining. It expands to carry quilts, beach towels, overnight items for a sleepover, or as a carryon. It was designed by M'Liss Rae Hawley and can be found in her book "Fat Quarter Quilts."
It can also be found free

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Bags-an...at-Quarter-Bag
Old 12-14-2015, 07:17 AM

There is a free 6 fat quarter patter called Wicked Easy. I just googled it to make sure it was still out there, and it is.
I make the 6 fat quarter size and add a border to make it bigger. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:59 AM

Yellow Brick Road uses 6,9 or 12 fat quarters and is an easy quilt. I have made several.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:03 AM

I sound like a broken record! If interested in a chevron, google Free toddler chevron pattern, scroll down to Limasews.com. This pattern calls for 6 fat quarters, finished size=40'x48'
The two I have made were well received, one was vintage the other modern, both came out darling!
The pattern gives instructions how to cut the fabric which includes the binding. I have posted pics on QB under Toddler chevron modern and Toddler chevron vintage. Let us know what you decide. Happy choosing!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:54 AM

The Fat Quarter Bag is an easy pattern. My daughter, who is a beginner sewist/quilter made the bag and actually did a few modifications, putting pockets on the inside). If you like to carry your bag strap over your shoulder, I would suggest making the handles longer.

The Wickedly Easy Quilt pattern is a freebie from ByAnnie.com. It is totally flexible in that the finished blocks are 16x16, so you figure 1 FQ = 1 block, and you have left over fabric to make a scrappy border.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by LavenderBlue View Post
I purchased a beautiful bundle of 6 coordinating fat quarters recently. Now I'm wondering what to do with them. It was the only such bundle at Tuesday Morning or I would have bought another. Any pattern recommendations or ideas? Many thanks!
This is one of my favorite patterns for FQs. http://www.byannie.com/shop/product/...y-easy-quilts/
It makes up quick and easy.
Sharon in Texas