Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns delivered in pdf form, worth full price? >

Patterns delivered in pdf form, worth full price?

Patterns delivered in pdf form, worth full price?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 AM

I won't buy patterns like this. If it's the same price, then I'll wait and purchase from my LQS so they can have some profit, too. If it's not in the LQS, then I just don't buy it - there's way too many patters available for me to pay to print my own after already paying for the pattern itself...and not know if it's a quality pattern or not! I also can't return it, if it's not!

If it's cheaper, by a buck or two, then I'd do it. Otherwise, I think they make MUCH more money downloading as they have absolutely NO overhead, verses when they publish a good pattern complete with pictures and have to have those printed and sold, then I'm assured it's a better quality and a serious pattern-maker.

But - that's just me :)
Debbie in Austin
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 AM

I think it should be much cheaper for a PDF pattern. They don't have the production expense, and they certainly don't have the same overhead expense. While it is true that you save money on the shipping, I don't think the two balance out.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:19 AM

I don't think you're out in left field. I also haven't bought very quilting patterns because I know that I'm still moving at a snail's pace and I may very well no longer be interested in a certain pattern down the road.

I do have a lot of knitting patterns, though. Most are PDF, some were printed nicely on cardstock-like paper with photos, some from the yarn shop just printed off a normal printer.

I will have to mull over what I think about the cost difference. You see, I really like the PDF format. I like that I can print a copy to read through and write notes all over and easily obtain a fresh copy when I need it! I ended up photocopying my knitting patterns anyway for that purpose (for my own use).

So, I guess the price wouldn't phase me to pay the same price for a PDF if it was for a really well-written pattern-I see it more as paying for the ideas and good instructions, I guess? I also love the immediate gratification! :D And, no LQS near me to support, or I would.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 AM

It's not just the on-line pattern companies that are pulling this "trick" and it urks me. The colleges and universities use this too. When I went to school, photo copies were handed out and free. When older DD went, they were photocopies handed out in a bundle for $20. Now younger DD is charged $30-$50 and you have to download and print them yourself and you'd better save the download or they will charge you again! Sometimes the good old days were definately better.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:15 AM

Well it sounds like I'm not totally off base then. That's a relief. :)

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect a designer to just GIVE away their patterns, in whatever form. They deserve to make some money for their time and effort that they put into creating the pattern. But they aren't putting in any time and money for publishing and printing and I think that should be reflected in the price.

Like another poster mentioned, I often can't get my printer to set up to print the format correctly. Things are cut off on the sides, or printed half on one page and half on the next. And color cartidges aren't cheap!

But in the end it's any person's choice to charge what they want to charge for their product. It's my choice to buy it or not. :)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Totally agree. Printing it yourself, doesnt' give the advantage of full color picture, nice enamel paper, plastic storage bag, etc. I broke down and ordered some this way and they came in black and white, no color pictures at all. So, it is my personal thing that I won't buy them this way any more. Of course some patterns do have a color picture, but it is not the same quality when printed on an ink-jet printer and regular paper.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

E patterns should always be much cheaper then hard copies. Selling them for e pattens for 1/2 the price of printed still makes a darn good profit. I prefer anything downloaded so I can print only what I need. I can mark the pattern and still have a fresh clean copy when I want it again. I really like the downloaded quilt books and magazines.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
E patterns should always be much cheaper then hard copies. Selling them for e pattens for 1/2 the price of printed still makes a darn good profit. I prefer anything downloaded so I can print only what I need. I can mark the pattern and still have a fresh clean copy when I want it again. I really like the downloaded quilt books and magazines.
Where do you buy magazines and books for download? I'm a member of QCA so I can look at the digital copies of Easy Quilts magazine, but I can't download them. I can save and/or print individual pages. It would be so much easier to just download. As for preference, I like a paper copy but the downloads save space in my sewing room. I can print it and make it and not feel bad about pitching the papers after. Or I can transfer it to my ipod but then it's super tiny. I do have a small computer in my sewing room so I could put it on that too.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree totally!
If people won't/don't buy them that would make a big statement. That is how the sellers learn thier lesson.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM

are they garment patterns or quilt patterns? you can get free quilt patterns in pdf form all over the web. i don't know about anyone else, but i don't pay for them anymore.

p.s. if they aren't in pdf form, you can change it to pdf yourself.