Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pay it forward... >

Pay it forward...

Pay it forward...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM

I owned a quilt store. It closed in November 2009. I knew opening it would be a challenge, as the economy was really taking a dive. But I thought we could do it, as there were so many quilters in our area. My only big competition was Joanne's. There were other stores within a short drive, but I thought people would be loyal to the stores in our own town.

I found out that people, including me, love to shop at many stores instead of one. They are willing to drive great distances, especially if there is a great deal.

My shop was small, so I did not have a large inventory. I realize now I probably did not turn it over as fast as I should have. But we had great classes. We included classes for new to sewing and children/teens. We had a lot of traffic come in but they did not always buy. It was a nice social center, which I loved; but that did not pay the bills.

I am sorry I had to close it. I would have loved to try it longer. I now have a website and sell unique patterns and such. Plus I sell other peoples quilts.

I also do a couple of shows a year to allow enough income to purchase more patterns and notions. At those shows, I get to talk with several shop owners. I have yet to talk to one that makes money for themselves. They are working there for free, as I did.

I now live in a larger community of several quilt stores. Two of them just closed this past month. I was truly sorry to see them go. But the economy still not favorable to small shops and fabric pricing going up, up, up, I understand.

Those of you that have a shop and can keep it going, more power to you. I miss mine. But now I can sew on things that I did not have time to do before. All I sewed whiled my shop was open were samples. Often my staff did those for me.

I do favor supporting your local quilt store. Even if you go in and buy one cut of fabric a month. That will help their bottom line.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Many small businesses of all sorts are having slow times lately. The lady at the boxes and packing materials shop we visited yesterday was commenting on being bored because so few people had been in now that Christmas is past.
Some areas are suffering more from the economy than other areas. There's a lot to supporting your local quilt shop. It is a place of networking and making friends also.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by quilttiludrop
Originally Posted by mom-6
Many small businesses of all sorts are having slow times lately. The lady at the boxes and packing materials shop we visited yesterday was commenting on being bored because so few people had been in now that Christmas is past.
Some areas are suffering more from the economy than other areas. There's a lot to supporting your local quilt shop. It is a place of networking and making friends also.
The only place I buy fabric from is my local fabric shop.The fact that it's local and just 2 miles away is only part of the reason. The biggest reason is the that from the moment you walk in her door you feel welcome,only if you only want a pack of needles.It's that feeling that will keeping you coming back for more than needles.There's usually other quilters shopping for fabric too. We all start talking quilt patterns and color combinations.Usually the owner's mother is there.She has been sick and it seems to make her feel better to sit in her recliner at the shop and talk to the other quilters about how she used to quilt(she's 98 now) .We enjoy talking to her just as much. Her doctor says sitting in the fabric shop talking to friends does her as good as her medicine. The big chain fabric stores may have the fabric but they won't have the friendship and small town values .The fabric is top quality and the owner will order whatever colors and patterns you want that she doesn't have at no expense to you. The small town fabric shop will treat youu like a member of their family,the chain store won't.To them you're just another sale.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Times are really tough all around. Not only are the shops hurting so are families. I try to support my LQS whenever I can.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:45 PM

Several years ago one of the larger quilt shops in the Seattle area, "In The Beginning" had to go out of business because they were losing to online shops. People would go into the store, price the fabric and then shop online for a better price. At least they're still designing fabric.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:59 PM

There was an interesting article on Yahoo this past week about the top 10 mistakes small businesses make.

I've not been buying a lot of fabric lately but I do "shop" my LQS frequently. I don't buy every time I go in there. It's not my store so they can do things the way they please but I can give them a couple of things that would prompt me to personally buy more often in there....but the issues are not big enough for me to not shop there. The LQS is closer to me than Joanne's or Hancock Fabrics. I will say though, when I went in to look at their Christmas fabric on sale - I was disappointed as it was only 25% off. There was a lot available too.

My local scrapbook store closes at the end of this month. Yes, there's another one but it's a longer drive for me. I do plan on going to a couple of their classes but I don't plan on doing the midnight crops as of now. I get that the economy sucks for some of these smaller businesses but sometimes I gotta wonder if there's not something they can't do to help themselves.....I paid $3 on a Friday for as much as a 14 hour crop at my local scrapbook store. Seriously $3 for that whole time - I loved doing that so much I would have gladly paid $1/hr even if I didn't stay 10am-12am I would have stayed longer than 3 hours and that would have put more $$ in their pot. Friday nights were full too! There are a bunch of us now trying to figure out do we go to the other store on Fridays (that charges $5 for the same 10am-12am) or do we get together at our homes.... And you can bet I spent more than my crop fee on Fridays :D

I'm not a big online shopper for fabric or scrapbook supplies. So it's not like I take my money online to get a better deal. ;)
Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Its kind of frightening to see that we as consumers are spending less, and this hurts the small businesses and in turn makes it harder for us to spend more. Vicious circle, hopefully it will all turn around again one day
Old 01-09-2011, 03:58 PM

I live in Illinois and one of my quilt shops closed after being in business for almost thirty years and the owner had a really great marketing plan and did very well, lots of fabric and patterns and did an online business and every year around the beginning of November did a fabulous open house. When I didn't get my card in the mail this past November, I went their and low and behold she was gone, closed for good and will not re-open. I was devastated. had to find a new quilt shop, I just hate this goverment its killing all the good ones.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
I will say though, when I went in to look at their Christmas fabric on sale - I was disappointed as it was only 25% off. There was a lot available too.

I'm not a big online shopper for fabric or scrapbook supplies. So it's not like I take my money online to get a better deal. ;)
I have to say, I think 25% at a LQS is a pretty good deal, they can't give much larger discounts like big box stores because they don't charge the large markup to start with anyway. I will be at my lqs with bells on for a 20% discount :mrgreen:
Old 01-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Thank you lynmccoy, that was beautifully said, my LQS that just closed after being open for almost thirty years, her mother use to be in there all the time, they would even bring in there dogs, it was always so wonderful and heart warming to go in her store, her mother always gave out such great tips, they were worth the weight in gold, the daughter of the owner worked there also, she was going to take over the shop when her mom retired, if she ever did. I miss the shop and all the friendly people.