Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pellon 101 and longarm quilting assistance needed. >

Pellon 101 and longarm quilting assistance needed.

Pellon 101 and longarm quilting assistance needed.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Default Pellon 101 and longarm quilting assistance needed.

Have any of you quilted with longarm over embroidered blocks backed with fusible Pellon 101? The whole block has this product fused on the back not just the embroidered area. Just curious because I have had issues with skipped stitches when quilting blocks that were fused with such products. This was used in a large quilt that is mainly embroidered blocks and she wants to have the embroidery designs echo quilted....Oh boy! I have a HandiQuilter Fusion and hesitate to take on this project. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Sorry I have no experience with this, but always listen to your gut, it’s okay to say no! If you feel you must provide a reason, simply say that you don’t like working with the product she used as you’ve had bad results in the past, and you don’t want to be responsible for the end results. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you could ask her for some scrap pieces of the Pellon and try quilting through them on your longarm. I don't think I would accept the project without knowing whether there would be problems, especially since you've had problems with such fusibles in the past.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:55 PM

I have stitched through all the Pellon products it seems. I used a poly thread and a larger needle. The issue to watch out for is the holes left behind if you have to pick. Steaming did help. Test first!
Old 03-03-2019, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Pellon 101 is Shapeflex. I use this product a lot making purses and bags though I've never used it with machine embroidery. I have quilted items with this in them on my domestic but not my long arm. I've never had a problem with skipped stitches when quilting the pieces or top stitching on an item with Shapeflex in it, even when I've doubled it, providing I use a size larger sharp needle and slow down a bit. Just my 2 cents.

Cari
thanks, Cari for identifying it as Shapeflex---I use it all the time on t-shirt quilts without any problem. It's a very fine, none sticky fusible--I don't think you will have any problem either.