Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PelTex 71F vs Bosal 326/426LF? >

PelTex 71F vs Bosal 326/426LF?

PelTex 71F vs Bosal 326/426LF?

Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 AM

Default PelTex 71F vs Bosal 326/426LF?

Folks that have used both Peltex 71F and/or the suggested Bosal options of 326 or 426LF... Opinions? I want to make a charm pack tote, and would just be quilting straight lights beside the patchwork seams.

details...

I picked up a tote pattern a while back, mainly because I saw an example of the bag in the quilt shop... it was adorable in the fabric (Horizon charm pack) they had chosen. That quilt shop apparently loves the pattern because I have seen it done in a few other fabrics there as well, and it usually looks better than the pattern's picture! I never seem to catch the lady that actually makes them though, otherwise I would just ask her about what interfacing she is using. I don't have much experience making bags, I have only done a few drawstring bags, one laptop bag, and one tote.

The pattern is for the Charm Party Tote by Quilts Illustrated. http://www.quiltsillustrated.com/sho...te-Pattern.htm

I picked up some Peltex 71F on a whim the other day, thinking it would be good to have in my stash since I have heard several people mention PelTex when they talk about making bags. Since I now have both the Peltex and some charm packs that might be good for the bag, I was thinking of making it.

The pattern though, suggests Bosal's 326 or 426LF. The only Bosal product I have used was a double sided fusible foam batting/stabilizer, but I can't remember the name of it. It worked well on the large tote I made, but I think I would want this Charm Party Tote to be stiffer since I would probably use it as a purse. The Bosal foam I used before might be more stable in this smaller tote though, the tote I made with it was pretty big.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Don't know bout the Bosal and I don't think you can stitch through Peltex. I love to use Soft & Stable for totes and purses. It is lightweight but keeps the bag's shape
Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

I think there's a big difference between the 2. It seems to me the Bosal is more like a batting & the Peltex is definitely a heavy duty interfacing. I have made bags with Peltex and they are really sturdy. I have Viking Designer I and SE machines which sewed thru 2 layers of peltex, plus fabric & lining. I had to wrestle with it a bit, but they sewed OK.
BTW, if you decide you really like the Peltex, you can get a similar product at a much better price at longcreek mills:
http://www.longcreekmills.com/product/stabilizer3.html