Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really? >

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

People buy unfinished quilt tops? Really?

Old 07-17-2011, 03:28 AM

OMG! This is true? You mean I can just make tops and not stress over quilting them and people will buy them and finish them?

Anything smaller than a baby quilt I'm okay with but the larger sizes scare me.

What would you charge for an unfinished quilt top?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

some people prefer the quilting part of quilting over the piecing part-so yes- people do buy tops-
they do not pay alot for them-
if you want to sell your tops you should figure out your costs- then determine what you think would be (fair)
if you do not get any responses you will know you are expecting too much- you need to remember- a top still needs a backing and batting and all the work of quilting/binding- you will not make alot just selling tops- but it is a way to get rid of them if they are stacking up.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:55 AM

I too thought this was nuts, but I recently met a lady that bought tops because piecing made her nervous. She'd asked me if I wanted to sell mine! Heavens no! Not at the prices she pays. She's told me shes never gave more than $25 for a top! I cant make one for that.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
I too thought this was nuts, but I recently met a lady that bought tops because piecing made her nervous. She'd asked me if I wanted to sell mine! Heavens no! Not at the prices she pays. She's told me shes never gave more than $25 for a top! I cant make one for that.
Some people have no clue; I made a rag quilt for a co-worker and hand appliqued animal prints on the back and this other co-worker wanted to know is I'd make one for her daughter; then she added that she can get them at the consignment shop for 15 to 20. I told her she'd better get them there then because it cost me more than that in flannel; let alone the batting and applique. If I liked her I would have made on for free but since I don't I'm not going broke for her.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:25 AM

True...I sell on ebay when I make a top (s) that start piling up or I just don't care for...You get your money in fabric...not labor...So it's a cost break even...And I usually get all my fabric on sale...so they are right you may get 10-15 on baby top, 15-25 for larger sizes but no more...
Old 07-17-2011, 04:41 AM

I make custom quilt tops for people (especially Amish and Mennonite) all the time and I get much, much more than is suggested here. But, then I have been doing it a long, long time and past customers refer others, etc. No advertising needed.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
I make custom quilt tops for people (especially Amish and Mennonite) all the time and I get much, much more than is suggested here. But, then I have been doing it a long, long time and past customers refer others, etc. No advertising needed.
this amazes me..... I thought it was a thing of pride of the Amish and Mennonite to peice and hand made quilts...... and even they are out sourcing the piecing?????

I'm so not a worldly person. There is still so much to learn
Old 07-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Yes, but are you talking about piecing or quilting? Aren't they bringing you their pieced tops and you're quilting them?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 AM

I sold all my UFO's a few years back when I was selling some fabric.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
What kind of a top can you get for that? In my current quilt I have spent more than $60 on fabric and used most of it. Not to mention all the hours of cutting, trimming it up and stitching it together.

Instead of selling your tops maybe find someone who is learning on their long arm and wants to practice, you could provide tha backing and batting and they could quilt it for you. I know when I first got mine there was a learning
curve, I am still learning. Practice, practice makes you better. I had a few tops of mine own to start on. I have done 5 quilts so far and getting ready to put another on the frame soon. But I still have lots to learn.