Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pep-Talk, please ...

tmg
    Try washing. It will hide a lot. Try to just enjoy it. Quilting is soooooo much fun. It is a time you can just be yourself in what you create. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    Ok so I just started quilting quilt number two, actually my first attempt at any kind of actual quilting (first was just tied). I decided to stitch in the ditch, even though some very smart people advised me against it ... I just didn't trust my ability to do long, straight lines and the idea of not having to mark anything was appealing, plus I have that handy low-speed setting so I thought I could manage. Well I quickly got tired of going slow :-( and eventually paid the price for that. Some of my quilting actually looks pretty good ... I managed to stay in the ditch or very close to it. Other parts look ... Excuse me ... Craptacular. Like seriously wonky. Can I rip those parts out and do them over or would that really mess up my quilt top and end up looking even worse? When you take a couple of steps back you can't see the wonkiness but up close it looks really bad in places. How many of you as beginners can remember feeling similar horror when quilting for the first time??
    Oh Yeah! Not that long ago either. Remember this....how often will you or the recipient be looking at the quilt from 18" away? If it is for a child, they don't care. Just know that every one of those wonky stitches is a little bit of love. I found a quilt in a drawer that I made 20 years ago before I ever considered myself a quilter. I made it for my first grandson to have at my house. It is the most pathetic attempt at quilting I ever saw. But you know what, it has been washed and loved so much that the flannel isn't even flannel any more. Obviously quality didn't matter to the Gkids.

don't be so hard on your self,we have all been there done that, give it a few days and look at it again, you may see it differently and it is not as bad as you thought at first glance, or you may want to take it out...you can not do it wrong...what ever you do will be the right thing to do...welcome to the club, you have passed...and you are now a quilter...hugs yetta

Blog Entries
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Practice makes progress!!!

We all have to start somewhere. It sounds like you may be too critical of your own work. Most of us are!

The best judge is using the "3 foot rule". Stand back 3 ft and if it looks good, it IS good! There is also the rule about a man on a galloping horseback, if he can't see the mistake, it is not there! :)

Seriously, be proud of what you have accomplished! Know that each piece will show some progress and move on. Be happy you have completed your project!!!

Post a pic so we can tell you what a good job you did!!

keep praticing i felt like that when i started but my sister(who is a fantastic quilter she does it for customers) told me keep on going every quilt gets better and she was right . i am still not as good as her but i have gotten better. but i like every one i have done.

Blog Entries
    ... I just didn't trust my ability to do long, straight lines and the idea of not having to mark anything was appealing, plus I have that handy low-speed setting so I thought I could manage.[/quote]

I get nice straight lines by following the edge of a piece of blue painter's tape. Easiest way I know of for marking!

We are all to hard on ourselves. Just stand back and enjoy the complements. We get better as we go along.

On my first quilt, I called it stitch NEAR the ditch. ;)

Call it a learning experience. Only you will really know where the skeletons are buried--grin I'd say leave it and when you look at it several years from now you will just say this is where I started and look what I can do NOW!!

Debbie wrote: “I get nice straight lines by following the edge of a piece of blue painter's tape. Easiest way I know of for marking!” What a great idea!

And gzuslivz wrote “If your machine has the serpentine stitch, that is a really good one to use. It meanders back and forth in a wavy pattern. If you aren't super straight, it doesn't matter. I personally love it!” By golly that is a good suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    Oh I don't know ... Now I'm kind of tempted to post a few pictures and see if you all still think it looks fine! Seriously it looks like I had one hand on my quilt and the other on a glass of whiskey! LOL!
    LMAO because You have the funniest sense of humor and I am still laughing over your description "Craptacular". I truly am going to borrow that one!
    On my very first "any kind of actual quilting" I did the exact same thing: stitch in a ditch + need for speed = QUI :-P

My advice? The other QB members are right. If it looks good when you step back (just in case you can't find a man to gallop past on a horse - LOL!) then be proud of your first attempt! Washing a quilt does help hide small woggles in quilting lines.

On the other hand, if those wonky lines are always going to prey on your mind, then, yes... they can be ripped out. I have read topics where QB members have been so unhappy with the quilting that they got back from professional LAQs that they then spent weeks ripping it all out. :hunf:
    It might work if you chose your three worst quilting lines and rip out and redo those. Then step back a see if that is enough to make you feel better about your quilting. If not, then do a few more. On my "Craptacular" quilt, it was surprising what a difference redoing just a few of the worst lines made.

Most of all, don't be your own worst critic (said the pot to the kettle)! We all have to learn by doing and no one's first attempts are going to be great. 90% of the time, you are the only one who is going to notice.

I wouldn't redo it. It's probably not noticeable to anyone except you and it's always fun to keep your first attempt so in the future you can see how far you've come.

Stitch in the Ditch can be a challenge. I've spent a lot of time beating myself up over it. The three foot rule and the galloping horse scenario is right on!
    I've removed stitches that were wonky to me, but I removed all the stitches in that line and started over. I don't know if it's right or wrong to do that, though.
    Practice, practice, practice and keep in mind SID isn't as easy as it sounds! You'll do great as you gain experience, I know you will.

If it looks okay but not great...try washing it. I didn't believe that and tried it it works like a charm!

Blog Entries
    I remember well because it wasn't very long ago.

Power Poster
    We are always our own worst critics, and it probably does not look as bad as you think it does. Next time try a small zig-zag stitch - if it's good enough for Georgia Bonesteel, it's good enough for us. If I have a quilt with squares I do an "X" stitch across it - no ditch. Think of this as a learning experience - Rome wasn't built in a day, so why do we think we have to be "perfect" the first time out? Unless you will be sleeping with your face next to the quilt, you won't see any imperfections.

Blog Entries
    Amen to that~!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmagee84
    Practice makes progress!!!

We all have to start somewhere. It sounds like you may be too critical of your own work. Most of us are!

The best judge is using the "3 foot rule". Stand back 3 ft and if it looks good, it IS good! There is also the rule about a man on a galloping horseback, if he can't see the mistake, it is not there! :)

Seriously, be proud of what you have accomplished! Know that each piece will show some progress and move on. Be happy you have completed your project!!!

Post a pic so we can tell you what a good job you did!!

Blog Entries
    Did you use walking foot? Maybe medium speed?

" How many of you as beginners can remember feeling similar horror when quilting for the first time??"

What do you mean by 'as beginners?' Still happens all the time.

I can certainly remember feeling that way when I started and sometimes still do. But no one looks at a quilt with a microscope except the maker and once I realized that, I was able to relax. You will too.

And your skills will get better too and the feeling of horror will happen less often. Promise. :D

Just did my very first quilt like that too, was very critical of my work but went ahead and finished it. I'll keep this one for me. I learned alot thru the process and am not beating myself up. If I stand back 3 feet (without my glasses, I'm blind) it looks fantastic! I'm sure yours does too.

Blog Entries
    I've taken out bad parts and it looked just fine, sometimes those darn "eyelashes" appear :evil: and you don't know it till you're done, and you just have to fix them.

I see 2 little kids in your avitar - Im sure they wont notice anything about the sewing other than its fun to make a fort, or asn island out of the quilt; or run little cars up and down the "roads" on it. Enjoy your efforts and go forward, sharet

Blog Entries
    oh yea--- i don't know that I call mine SID. I meander in the ditch more often, or may be I had whiskey in one hand too. though, I don't feel like I had the fun of whiskey.

I just finished ufos for my nieces boys. one had been started about 3 years being hand quilted, so had to finish it that way. the second one is MQ. I was trying SID and more than once my control for the needle position got bumped and moved the needle first to the right then to the left. so i meandered in the ditch. the worst places i ripped out. others i just said phooey. the boys will either play with them until they are threadbare and boys usually don't care about the stitching; or they will have nothing to do with the quilts and won't care about the stitches.

but no matter how often i look at the darn things, i can see the problems. but then i also know where they are. others will have to look for them!

I have been quilting for 10 years or so, and have done a fair amount of SID. I just finished a piece this week that is to be a wall hanging and I nearly tossed it because I felt my stitching was all over the ditch, not really in it most of the time. But, I finished it anyway and hung it in my entry foyer. To my suprise, it looks pretty good, even though I know all its faults. No one else sees them at all, and even I have to study it to see everything that bugged me so much while I was working on it. Don't be discouraged, as I keep telling myself, done is better than perfect. I really want to get to perfect, though (LOL)

I haven't read through all the posts, but as a beginning quilter I would say going slightly offline while SID is ok. You are prob the only one that notices the meandering.

sans whiskey, lol

Blog Entries
    Even after 15 years of quilting, I still need improvement. I enjoy SID, but what I like better is, using the foot as a marker, go next to the ditch. I think it is called "echoing".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast