Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PERFECT 1" Squares  :) >

PERFECT 1" Squares :)

PERFECT 1" Squares :)

Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM

I found that since I started quilting I have begun "thinking in quilts". I saw a large ceramic plate design that made me think of quilt pieces. I made "sweat towels" for my husbands basketball team and put the decoration together like I would piece a block. It is amazing how many places you can use quilting skills!!

I guess I must be hooked!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Still got all your fingers? I'd be using a thicker rule than a school one.Good idea for the process.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
As I was staring at the 5 pound slab of fudge on my cutting board waiting to be cut, I thought: "Wish I could use my rotary cutter..." I nixed that idea, then AHA! :idea:
I dug around the kitchen and armed with my pizza cutting wheel and a plastic ruler (the kind we used in school), I embarked on cutting 5 pounds of perfect 1" fudge squares :-D. The edges are so clean and the pizza cutter made short work of it. A new tradition born!
Getting ready to make my third batch of fudge tomorrow. Cannot wait to try your idea !! Way to go.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kappy
Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
As I was staring at the 5 pound slab of fudge on my cutting board waiting to be cut, I thought: "Wish I could use my rotary cutter..." I nixed that idea, then AHA! :idea:
I dug around the kitchen and armed with my pizza cutting wheel and a plastic ruler (the kind we used in school), I embarked on cutting 5 pounds of perfect 1" fudge squares :-D. The edges are so clean and the pizza cutter made short work of it. A new tradition born!
Ah, Maybe you should send me a few pieces that I could, ah test, ya that's it, test, to see if accidentally some of the last pizza maybe got stuck on the fudge...you wouldn't want to serve imperfect fudge to friends at Christmas ;)
I was thinking the same thing...just a little taste so we could test it for you!!!!
Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
A quilter's mind is always workin...
How man of us use medical tools in quilting?
I know some use the scalpel like seam ripper, but for me the rotary cutter is the scalpel on a wheel so I don't need the smaller version...
I do use curved hemostats - the "mosquito" size and the suture sissors when I'm on the road. Haven't found a use for the hypodermic yet...maybe if I need to apply a really tiny (thin) bead of glue sometime.

:-P
Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Way to go quilter, now if you could just pass that fudge dish here, I'd love a piece.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
A quilter's mind is always workin...
How man of us use medical tools in quilting?
I know some use the scalpel like seam ripper, but for me the rotary cutter is the scalpel on a wheel so I don't need the smaller version...
I do use curved hemostats - the "mosquito" size and the suture sissors when I'm on the road. Haven't found a use for the hypodermic yet...maybe if I need to apply a really tiny (thin) bead of glue sometime.

:-P
hypodermics are great for getting splinters out!!! Fine needle
Old 12-13-2010, 09:34 PM

thanks for sharing
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by grannynan
Guess what!! After being raised on a farm, going back to farm after hubby retired, finally got a bunch of chickens, now have plenty of eggs - so have decided time to learn to make homemade noodles. My sister gave pointers, but warned me that cutting them was a horrible task as we both have 'uncle arthur' in hands -
Well was cutting fabric while my second batch was drying some - when the light bulb came on!!! HA! :) PIZZA CUTTER!
works wonders and now have wonderful nice looking homemade noodles

I use my pizza cutter for homemade noodles too. Works great for that and pie crust when I am making cobblers.
And Laurie, we all would love to hear about your Fudge recipe.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 AM

The fudge I made is Domino's recipe White Christmas fudge, a favorite of my daughter's. Here is a link:

http://www.dominosugar.com/Recipe.aspx?id=261

The list of ingredients is:

2 1/2 cups - Domino® Confectioners Sugar

2/3 cup - milk

1/4 cup - butter or margarine

12 ozs - white chocolate, coarsely chopped

1/2 teaspoon - almond extract (optional)

3/4 cup - dried cherries, cranberries, or apricots, coarsely chopped

3/4 cup - toasted almond slices

Go to the link for the directions (lists of ingredients can't be copyrighted, but directions can be).

Unfortunately DD is showing signs of gallbladder problems (sees GI tom.) so now I have a dilemma about whether to send out the cookies, candy 'fried oysters', caramels and fudge. DSIL would certainly appreciate them...what to do, what to do... :-(