Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The perfect dream sewing studio >

The perfect dream sewing studio

The perfect dream sewing studio

Old 06-29-2012, 10:21 AM

I'd pick out the best from each of your ideas. Then I'd add a comfy recliner in the sun so I could curl up for a nap when I got sleepy. I'd never have to leave. While we're dreaming, let's add a cook and house cleaner, too. LOL
Old 06-29-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
A room without cats
Hey now! My little furry quilting buddies resent that remark! LOL

It would make it a little easier to fmq if there wasn't a kitty on the quilt though. LOL
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I've often wondered about how well an office/quilting room combination works. Fabric/textile creates lots of lint dust which is bad for computers. Any problems for those who have done this?
Three of my machines are computerized, so it wouldn't seem that the lint resulting from sewing and quilting would have much effect on computers. Also, my computer sits on one end of my large sewing cabinet. I have never had a problem, but have allergies so I dust and clean my studio weekly. I think you would have to let a lot of dust and lint accumulate for it to become a problem.

Last edited by nstitches4u; 06-29-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM

I have a nice room for my sewing. It is about 13' x 13' I think, plus a really small walk in closet. It works for me, but I would love to have a bigger room. I desperately want a longarm, and that would just not work here at all.

My dream idea, or one of them actually would be to get a casita, or park model home that would sit out back of the house. I have a friend that has one of these as her vacation home and I visited her there once. All I could think of was how great it would be for a studio. When I got home I checked out a few here in town and wow, they were so nice. Some had lofts that would be perfect for storing the extra stuff we all seem to accumulate.

The reason I think a casita would be perfect is mostly the time thing. They can be brought in and set up in a day or two. No need for a cement foundation, or even extra property taxes. They are treated like a trailer basically. Or so I was told. you can get them that are plain or looking like a cabin. Even with a porch.

The only problem I can see is finding one with the space for a long arm. But I think they can be customized. I would use the bedroom to store all my fabric and supplies, and the living room for the machines and such. I could hang finished quilts from the loft wall. I wouldn't really need the kitchen area, but it would be nice.

http://www.parkmodelsdirect.com/PH/index.asp Lots of pictures.

For me at this point, it is just a dream. I could probably get more space if we built a big building on our property. But then I would have to share it with my husband and all his junk. Plus getting it built is a whole long process. We have looked into those steel buildings and they are great, but then you have to put down a cement slab and that would cost a lot. Then even if you have the people come and build it, you still have the finishing and all that. I am just too impatient for my own good.

Last edited by Katia; 06-29-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM

It would be connected to my living room with french doors so that when I entertain I could close it off, but when I am just at home it would be open to the rest of the house. It would be about 20x20 and so would the living room be. It would have my serger and my sewing machine on an L shaped table, and the best embroidery machine available. I would send my quilting out to a LA. I would have design walls on swing hooks just like they display rugs at the store so I could work on a dozen or more at a time. I would have a cushioned rubberized flooring, soft yellow walls.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Similar to what everyone else has said but I'd need to add a cleaner I hate that part!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM

joyce888,
I want your dream studio.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM

I asked my husband if we ever get rich could we put a little "tough shed" in the back and make it mine for quilting only and he said yes, so something to look forward to, I think it will be perfect with windows, shelving and cabinets.....sigh.....
Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM

My DH is building my dream sewing studio. It has been a work in progress for several months. It's 22 X 24 and will be absolutely wonderful once it is all done. Lots of wall space for quilts and a center cutting island on wheels that can be locked in place. It will have shelves and doors in it and also bookshelves on the ends. ( For all those quilting books)
The reason it is taking a while is he is also building a huge walkin closet for me and a very large bathroom. The walls are done and painted in the quilting room and closet and the airconditioning and heating is going in this weekend. All the trim work will come next. He is building the shelving and the closet stuff as the days go by. It will be great once it is done and I really can't wait to have a nice big bathroom. Just wish we could have had it when my girls were home.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:41 PM

hmmmmmmmmm the perfect quilting studio. that is a hard one. I get a small corner of the dining room right now so this is hard for me to decide on. But here I go I would have to say a room outside of the house that is connected. It would be probably around 30' by 40'. the room would be separated by a half wall a 30' by 10' section would be designated my kids play area (they are still real small) and the rest would be set up with lots of windows one every 6' which are flanked by large shelves for fabric and storage that are built in. these windows have window seats in them or table space for different things. on the far end would be a long arm set up with vertical storage for batting on rolls to hand from the walls. in the center of what is left in the room I would have a very large double cutting station/ table where I would have three sewing machines one for piecing one embroidery one and a kiddy one for the kids to play on. the shelves would be made of cherry wood with a mahogany stain. something kinda reddish brown dark color. the walls would be a couple of different colors. the kids area would be a mural on one wall and the other chalk board paint. I would have one 8' wall that would be a design wall and another one that would be half chalk board or white board and the other a peg board. I would have a desk in there with a computer for me to play on and a flat screen tv in there to watch. one for me and one in the kids area for them to watch movies on. I would probably paint the walls a creamy white color and use accents to add color. mostly because of the dark wood shelves. I would also have a rocking chair in there and a nice and comfortable over sized love seat in the kids area. I would have tons of pot lights every 3 feet that can be controlled almost in individual sections and I would have a couple of desk lamps and floor lamps and task lighting. I would also have a sink in there and a mini fridge for snacks and such for the kids. I would also have a perminate rod installed for drying fabric on that I have starched or hand washed. I would also have a corner for the ironing board that is 20"x45". the floor would be wood in my area and this vynal wood looking stuff in the kids area. I would also have rugs in there to help warm up the room. I would have plugs installed at two levels and two different outlets in every section. (if you haven't guessed I have given this a lot of thought already) but this is just the begining of my wish list. I would love the have enough fabric to fill the shelves 1/2 full (need room to add more hehe)