Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Perfect Quilt shop/store would be.......

Hi Neighbor, Seminole is a great shop. I belong to Village Quilters, do you?

A place where you could walk in and all the fabric is cordinated for you. I have trouble matching fabrics.

Lots of fabric, books and patterns. That's all I need - I'm pretty self-sufficient if the store has lots of these.

My perfect store would be HUGE!!!!! With everything you would need to quilt, and a ton of 30s repos, LOL!
    The owners would be nice, but not pushy, and it would be ALOT closer, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    The perfect quilt shop would allow me to shop for free. :lol:

They would carry the complete fabric lines of fabrics that I like and notions of all sorts. They would offer more classes.
    That's what I was going to say!

Seriously though..there is a nice little quilt store about 10 minutes away from me. The owner is really nice. I just can't afford to go there often. And I'm 30 minutes from Mary Jo's. So anything I need is within driving distance.

I love our LQS. We are fortunate to have several close and friendly shops here in Ia. I just got back from a gf's daughters wedding in AZ. Boy what a wonderful place to visit. Found some shops in Phoenix area. They were not only friendly but I didn't want to leave. My suitcase was over flowing with fabric that was not seen in Ia. DH asked if I had a good time, what a silly question

Blog Entries
    My dream shop is my next door nieghbor. She and her staff all quilt,so needless to say she has everything a quilted needs.Fabric to die for at LLLLLLLLLoooow prices,we live in a rural setting. Books,patterns threads,notions of all kinds. The only thing she did not have was silk thread which I use for my neele turn applique,and silk ribbon for my ribbon embroidery. Not even has that. They all call me Miss Jo and hugs everytime I go in. Thay do this for all their clientele if needed. If someone doesnt like this they dont. It is wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    1. friendly owner and employees

(I'm glad you started this thread as I went to a quilt shop last week was about 1 1/2 hours from home on way home from hubby Dr. appt., I was in the store for about 20 minutes, was going to buy a book, but no one in the store ever acknowledge that they had a customer, so I walked out and didn't buy anything)
    It irks me to walk into a smaller type store of any kind and be ignored. I worked in retail and I wanted my customers to know I knew they were in there. If they know you are aware of them, a would-be thief is less likely to steal.

DJ
    I've always wondered why they don't put a quilt shop or craft store next door to a good hardware store (so DH doesn't have to bring a book)!

I have the perfect place - Happiness is Quilting in McKinney Tx -Staff is terrific - well stocked with material and all sorts of tools - very willing to help and order if necessary - Great place to also get work done if classes aren't using the classroom space

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltluvr
    The perfect quilt shop would allow me to shop for free. :lol:
    That is the same thing I was thinking. And if they would treat you like a worthy customer and not like a stupid guy that should not even be there.

Billy

Great customer service, great advise, great fabrics, quilting supplies, and GREAT SALES and COUPONS. Oh, and within walking distance. I don't have a car. :cry:

My ultimate fantasy quilt shop would have an espresso machine or coffee bar where quilters are encouraged to have a cup of coffee and socialize with each other, or the staff, discussing the great quilts that are on display throughout the store or about the great upcoming classes! :-D

My dream shop would have several spots throughout the store that have a stool and small table where a customer could sit down for a couple minutes and look at bolts next to each other. :thumbup:

It would be not too far from home, would have ample parking, and be roomy, well lit, of course lots of fabric. The staff would ALL be friendly. It would have a great classroom with ample space for each student. It would offer interesting classes, some of which are inexpensive perhaps given by the staff or owner, and some with national-caliber teachers. Of course my fantasy shop would specialize in batiks, having thousands of bolts with new ones arriving weekly! :-D

I would like the employees to be quilters, or at least be really knowledgeable. There is one LQS that I frequent (in Florida) where the employees seem to not know much about quilting.

I did lots of quilting eons ago, and am in the process of making my first quilt in years.

My first experience in this store I was picking out fabric. I like to get the fabric that might work, and when I get home I then take my time and decide which fabrics to use. If I need more and see the way the quilt is going to evolve, I must make another trip to LQS, and likely to another LQS too.

I was picking out fabric with my pregnant daughter in law for a baby quilt. We had one fabric we had decided on, and had another fabric we liked. The clerk didn't think the fabrics would look very good together. So we decided not to buy the second fabric. Doesn't she know quilters ALWAYS BUY EXTRA FABRIC..if not used on this project...GREAT for STASH.

As the quilt evolved, the first fabric wasn't used, but the one we DIDN'T buy would work great. So back to LQS to buy the fabric. As the quilt top was nearing completion, and what I had picked for back wasn't wide enough. So back to couple LQS to find a fabric wide enough. The same fabric I had passed on the first time was wide enough. I was going to buy twice what I needed, as I would be going back north and thought I should buy more in case I needed it. I wouldn't be able to come buy more. The clerk acted shocked that I wanted so much. "Why would I buy the extra, when you only need so much." Doesn't she know quilters ALWAYS BUY EXTRA FABRIC..if not used on this project...GREAT for STASH.

Another time, I had questions about thread, but she couldn't answer it. I like to go into a quilt shop, and ask questions, and have them at least know as much as I might know.

Now I expect in this shop they won't know much. I have no idea if it has even been the same person, or different people. Now I am sure the owner is very knowledgable, and when she is there it would be a much different experience.

This shop has BEAUTIFUL, unique fabrics, and has a GREAT feel with all the beautiful fabrics.

As I still need to pick the binding fabric for the current quilt, I hope it isn't the above fabric that would work best. Because I listened to the clerk, and didn't buy the extra.

I would imagine the owner would be horrified that the clerk(s) would discourage buying extra fabric.

The quilt shop I love is about 1/2 hour away, and they'll always get my business. They give a FREE 45 minute-l hour lesson on different quilting methods/projects the first Saturday of each month. How great is that?!?! All of the employees, and the owner, are very friendly and personable and always willing to answer questions or point you in the right direction. Quilt Expressions gets my thumbs-up for the way a quilt shop should be run!

Banned
    I hate to say this but the LQS I went to when I was first getting into quilting treated me like crap. From that moment I made it a point that I would never deal with a LQS for all the tea in China.

They were too stuck up for me.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    I hate to say this but the LQS I went to when I was first getting into quilting treated me like crap. From that moment I made it a point that I would never deal with a LQS for all the tea in China.

Billy
    We have one of those in town that's Snooty, also - I don't go to that one anymore - and it's where I had my first quilting lesson (those were fine, though because the instructor was down to earth).

There's another one here that just recently went out of business and with their attitudes, very understandably why. I don't like when you go in one shop and the owner starts putting down other shops/owners in the same area.

Banned
    I order on line from alot of different vendors. These are the stores I acutally go to and like alot
    http://www.cityquilter.com I'm from NYC and they have great City fabric that I see nowhere else.
    http://www.portsmouthfabric.com Portsmouth NH is too far away for me to go often, but guests always want to go for lobster and I go to the shop for fabric.
    http://www.vermontquilting.com - huge selection, nice folks
    http://www.quiltedthreads.com not cheap, but have a vast selection of gorgeous fabric and are truly nice people.
    http://www.quiltaway.com has good sale fabric and a terrific batik selection, Carol is also a big Patrick Lose fan so I can get his old Playing with Marbles there usually.

Quilters Workshop on Main Street in Newport NH is my favorite - great people, great fabric and I can't find a website, although I know they have one.

I also love to shop at Usha Berlin's shop in Hudson, NY - Heirloom Batiks. She doesn't have a website, but does alot of shows. She's great and so are her fabrics.

Dkm
    To know their products, mainly the machines and software they sell. To follow through with classes on learning all that we could be with the machine. As with any craft in life....learning the short cuts and the ends and out is what makes you successful. This will also make the shop successful, because you are then willing to advertise them and their products.
    Put this in terms of this board....who can't say they haven't learned something here. What have I done...recommended to my friends this is the place to be. I have learned so much just through reading the post that are made.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    When my kids were small, the shop that was my favorite had a toy box with plenty of preschool toys, plus an open carpeted area for the children to play on.

I wouldn't have spent half as much at that shop, without the toy box... because I would have had to leave so much sooner! :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
    We have one of those in town that's Snooty, also - I don't go to that one anymore - and it's where I had my first quilting lesson (those were fine, though because the instructor was down to earth).

There's another one here that just recently went out of business and with their attitudes, very understandably why. I don't like when you go in one shop and the owner starts putting down other shops/owners in the same area.
    At first they were really helpful because they thought I was buying for my wife and not for myself. When they found out that I was doing the quilting they wanted to sell me a machine and I told them I already had a real nice machine. They asked me what kind was it and I told them a 1911 Singer 27 in a treadle, and the lady rolled he eyes and said "Good luck with that" in a smart tone.

I had probably $250 worth of material and notions picked out and just turned around and left.

Billy

Hands down, my LQS has what I need in a quilt shop! D & D Sewing in Plaistow, NH. Husband & wife team, Dave and Deb. He fixes all machines and is always happy to help. She makes excellent samples. Their employees are very good at helping with fabric matching, and everything else. Best yet, they know my name. So, what they have and what I need in a shop is:
    - repair service
    - fabric selection & help with color matching
    - sample that inspire and classes that teach how to make it
    - Creative Grids rulers (hard to find; they are the best!)
    - enough supplies that I rarely have to go elsewhere
    AND
    - great people!!

just wish they weren't 45 mins away. But, they're worth the trip!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Hands down, my LQS has what I need in a quilt shop! D & D Sewing in Plaistow, NH. Husband & wife team, Dave and Deb. He fixes all machines and is always happy to help. She makes excellent samples. Their employees are very good at helping with fabric matching, and everything else. Best yet, they know my name. So, what they have and what I need in a shop is:
    - repair service
    - fabric selection & help with color matching
    - sample that inspire and classes that teach how to make it
    - Creative Grids rulers (hard to find; they are the best!)
    - enough supplies that I rarely have to go elsewhere
    AND
    - great people!!

just wish they weren't 45 mins away. But, they're worth the trip!!
    See If I had something like that here I might would change my mind. They treat folks like they are important to them. The same way I do my clients.

I wish they were closer too.

Billy

My local quilt is so terrific! they greet you just like they would greet Norm on Cheers. they remember and ask about your latest project, cheer when its completed,(even though I haven't finished that much) They have wonderful teachers, Employees, classes, fabrics and notions. And the owner is hands on at all times she really cares about all of her customers. They don't hover and you can just stay the whole day if you want. It's Called Sew Special and the shop is located in Uniontown Pa

Blog Entries
    I agree, I would like friendly employees,knowledgeable employees,patterns, classes, tools and lots of sales. I hate paying full price.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast