Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Perfecting the art of quilting >

Perfecting the art of quilting

Perfecting the art of quilting

Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Relax! Make a simple quit of squares for your first quilt so you learn the "feel" and "science" of quilting. If it is your first quilt you won't have a "comfort range" so keep it simple. Make a baby or lap quilt (something smallish) so you don't add the element of dealing with a huge amount of fabric. You might want to get a general how-to-quilt book (I use "Quilting for Dummies" and find an answer for almost every wall I come up against. Choose fabrics you love and follow the directions, either from a quilting pattern or from the book. You'll have to "unsew" (called frogging...rip it, rip it....) but that is because you are human, not because you are inept. You're learning. Again, relax! There is a special joy in seeing your vision become a usable quilt.

Beware the quilt police! They are different (very) from friends who help or make gentle suggestions. The QP tell you your colors, design, thread (ask your machine repair person about what thread to use for your specific machine) are all wrong. They will examine your seams and find a quirk and tell you it's awful. Avoid them.

When you are all done, put it here on QB and enjoy all the positive comments.
p.s. You will never stop learning new ways to do things, so be kind and patient with yourself!

Last edited by Sierra; 11-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:10 AM

I have quilts done by my grandmother over a 50 year span. You can practically see her age. Her first quilts were those of a novice. The ones done after 10 or so years are soooo close to perfect and they continue that way until the last 7 or 8 years that she quilted. Those that she did at the end of her quilting, show her stiff and painful fingers and her very poor eye sight. I love these last quilts the most. She never knew that they were so imperfect and to me they are her finest quilts ever.

Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
I am new to quilting, although I did spend many years sewing clothes for my daughter when she was younger. I am amazed at how PERFECT and squared-up most of the quilts posted here appear. Just curious, how long did it take any you to perfect your quilting skills?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 AM

Its a process. Nothing is perfect. Embrace that and relax. It will take about a year to get good at matching seams. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 AM

I agree...if you can't see it from a galloping horse it didn't happen. I said at our last quilty get together, well this didn't work and that didn't work well... one of the older quilters (I've only been doing this for 2 years) said, "well why should yours be any different from ours." So true, so true... all in the same boat.

I have a friend who wants perfection. I have to keep reminding her done is better than perfect.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
With sewing skills, you should be set to start on a easy to moderate quilt and achieve good results. I sewed for about 50 years before doing my first quilt (my avatar, a queen size) and didn't have many problems (all straight lines, though). I did take a beginning quilting class which helped with rotary cutting and pressing which are new skills if all your experience was garment construction.
There are no quilting police and few rules, just do what works for you. There is one rule I follow:
The 6 foot rule. Before you start your quilt, look at your fabrics from at least 6 feet away to see if any one of your selections jumps out. As you lay your blocks out, look from 6 feet to double check your layout, and lastly, when you're all done, if you don't see any mistakes from 6 feet, you're good! (this last is also the galloping horse rule, if it looks good from a galloping horse...)
I like the galloping horse rule. Another way to do this is with a camera. Take a picture of several sections of your quilt. The picture will show you if one fabric jumps out too much, or if there are no colors that are creating the pattern you are looking for. You could start this process with the fabric. Lay all of it side by side and take the picture. Do they look good together in the picture?
Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 AM

I made my first dress at age of 12 years as a 4-H member and progressed over the years to making draperies, coats, bathing suits, etc. and even sports blazers/slacks for my husband. I made my first quilt on my own when I was 15 - no quiters in my family, smile. More than 15 years later, I did a quilt top. Finally, at the age of 58, I took my first quilting class after we moved to CO from OH! Now I do only quilting, no more clothes ! I consider each quilt as a rehearsal for the next quilt, lol. I am getting better and better; I am enjoying every step of my progress.

Enjoy your new found interest in quilting!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:08 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Hmmm... let me think... I learned how to sew garments first ..Hmm how many years did that one take me ? A few... Now I am learning and still learning every day a new trick or tip on quilting .. so I am going to say-the rest of my life and maybe one day everything will turn out perfect and in line with absolutely no problems at all. Mechanical or otherwise !LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 07:19 AM

I look at my quilting the same way I look at people - like people, we're all evolving (hopefully!) and no quilt is perfect. I just do the best I can, and most of all, enjoy it. The many, many folks that have received what I've made have been very thankful & appreciative, and most of all, I've always enjoyed what I do. I learn something every day from this board - whether its a new way to do something, a new block or new skill...which is exactly the way my life is...I'm learning something new all the time! I've been quilting about 38 years now
Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 AM

I started quilting about 6 years ago, although like many I has done plenty of sewing. I love finding a new technique or pattern once I have done that I go onto the next. Finishing a project to me is unimportant I just love the beginning and the maths. Relax and become a cool dud. Wait until you have more than one project on the go.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I have been quilting since 1965-66 and have made 112 quilts, working on finishing up my 113th. I still have not made a perfect quilt. I think if I keep trying I should get closer. Most of quilting is getting much better and easier and I have honed many of my skills. Since I started machine quilting I am able to make them alot faster.