Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Personal Opinion on Gifts

Personal Opinion on Gifts

Hello all!
    I was just curious, if you're making quilts for a group of kids roughly the same age in the same family, do you use the same pattern?
    I am making quilts for my nieces (3 & 5) and nephew (1) for their new home and the first time they've had their own bedrooms. I bought fabric based on their personal interests, and planned on making the quilts with identical patterns so that there wasn't any jealousy or "I want hers!" types of discussions.
    When/if you've done this, what have you done?

Additionally, with the scraps I'm making the girls doll quilts (mostly so I can practice quilting more before doing their big quilts), any suggestions on something boy-ish to use up scraps for my nephew? The girls will get a kick out of their dolls blankets matching their beds.

Maybe make a bag to hold Duplo or such for the little boy? Or a play mat? At one year old I'm sure he won't know if the girls get something he doesn't, but it is nice to keep things balanced!
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

Maybe something about the same size as the doll quilts, made to look something like a super hero cape; perhaps clip it to his shoulders of his shirts with some spring clothese pins? Or, a little more manly-appearing doll quilt for a favorite teddy bear to sit on?

Blog Entries
    I vote for a bear quilt, something the same as the doll quilts but out of his themed fabrics.

Power Poster
    Teddy bears - or GI Joe - get cold, too.

At those ages the kids will probably not notice if the quilts are of the same pattern. They will see the fabrics of their favorites first. I was also looking for ideas for little boys to go with some doll quilts I've made. I'll watch for responses here

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I made 3 g-boys (at the time, 2 yrs ago, they were 8, 3, 2 yrs) I Spy quilts--just a simple block with sashing and borders. I let each one pick out the colors for sashing & borders (2 colors each quilt) and used the same ISpy blocks (had collected from guild members plus a layer cut from Mo.Star for I Spy). All the same patterns, but different colors.

I have made quilts from same pattern using colors or themes each child likes. They do not notice the pattern - they only notice the fabrics and colors in my experience.
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

I would make them different patterns made with the fabric you've chosen for them. The only thing the five year old might notice is size, so I'd make them the same size. The boy might like a sleeping bag for his favorite action figure.

You have some good suggestions for how to manage the 'I like that one better." problem. For the little boy, how about making a doll quilt, excuse me, a little sleeping bag, with a pouch on the back and put a short handle on it. Put a stuffed animal in the sleeping bag. With the short handle - big enough for his hand, but no possibility or getting his head through it - he will be able to drag it around, and he can put whatever he wants into it.

I made and gave my 4 year old grandson one for his Pikachu stuffed animal. He also got some bowl cozies for beds for his stuffed cats, Pumpkin, Pumpkin and Rock Star. He was thrilled. Me, too.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Power Poster
    ​If you have fabrics in their interests then Warm Wishes pattern would be good. If the girls are getting doll quikts, maybe the boy could get the road print fabric panel to drive cars on?

I made quilts for 3 great nieces, all different. I made different patterns, each in the colors that I knew were their favorites - and they seem to really like something that was made just for them.

I asked what they liked and favorite colors.

Ended up with
    Green/Cows
    Purple/kitties
    Pink/ horses
    white/balls

So they each had a quilt that they really loved, and no one was tempted by what the sibling got. Each had the child's name appliqued or quilted on them.

However, in another family of three young boys, their Mom told me that they should all be the same or they would argue. they were not old enough to ask about their likes or dislikes. I was making a quilt for the newest, and their Mom said the older boys would steal it if they liked it.

So they all got the same quilts, but I had their names appliqued in big letters on the back of each. Very easy for them to tell them apart from the back side.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

How about a throw pillow or a bag to put their Legos, etc. in.

One year for Christmas. I made all 9 grandchildren a quilt. I used the same stack and whack pattern for each one, but tailored the color and theme of each quilt to each child. BIG hit! Everyone loved the personal touch of theme and color and I liked that no one could argue that so and so got a bigger, better, or prettier quilt.

Children that young should be fine with receiving the same pattern, if it's easier for you to make them the same. But older children might prefer their own style quilt. At 3,5 and 1 I think you are safe making the same pattern for all.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I usually don't use the same pattern but I did the same pattern in different color schemes for my triplet granddaughters. I might use a similar a theme for siblings sharing a room, like fairy tales, but different fabrics and different patterns.

Since the boy is 1, I would make a simple stuffed animal.https://www.fabricworm.com/frpatuheheel.html
    My grandson is now almost 6 but he loves his elephant that goes with his elephant quilt.
    http://birchfabrics.blogspot.com/201...nry-helga.html
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 05-10-2018 at 07:42 AM.
    Anna Quilts

I am making quilts for all three of my nece's kids for Christmas (boys 7 & 4, girl, 2). I am using the same pattern, Atkinson's All About Me, for all 3. But I am using each kids favorite colors and interests (fishing, baseball, Moana, to name a few) to personalize each one.
    Who needs therapy? I quilt!

If you make them completely different, they will argue over who got the best one. If you make them identical, they wil argue over which one is whose. Your solution of identical patterns but different fabrics is ideal.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    Both quilts and husbands help keep you warm,
    but quilts never grumble when you buy more fabric.

It probably would be fine to use the same pattern but just use different fabrics. It is amazing how the same pattern looks so different if different fabrics are used. Good luck and please share pics with us as you progress.