Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pet Memory Quilt? >

Pet Memory Quilt?

Pet Memory Quilt?

Old 11-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Question Pet Memory Quilt?

I am feeling truly uninspired...

I work at a Doggy Daycare/Boarding Kennel, and have become very attached to our 'regulars'. One of the 'pet parents' informed us that one of her trio of pups has been diagnosed with advanced cancer in the lymphnodes; the cancer is throughout her whole body, and the vet doesn't expect her to live but for a few months. Treatment is not an option for her.

I want to do something special for the owner, as these dogs are her 'children'. No hubby or kids, just the furry ones. I took stamps of the pawprints of all three dogs a few weeks ago; one dog's print on each square of muslin. I want to make her some kind of wall hanging, but I am totally clueless as to what I should make.

Any suggestions? Has anyone here seen/done anything like this? You ladies always have the best input!
Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Maybe border each muslin square with a bright color. Do all three in a different color and then with matching fabric spell their name out under or over the paw print. Your sweet for wanting to do this for her. I am very attached to my animals too.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:37 PM

I made a small pet quilt that I expect will be our memory quilt for our dogs someday. I selected photos of each dog, created silhouette templates, then appliqued the templates to opposite corners of the quilt. It was really neat to see how their silhouettes were so identifiable as to which dog it belonged to. Plus, using batik fabrics (deep blue for the 'black' and orange for the 'red' dog) worked quite nicely. Something like that then adding 'paw prints' wandering across the quilt could be cute.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:31 AM

I made this pet memory quilt for the college-bound daughter of a good friend of mine. It included past and present pets along with a photo of the daughter as a child holding her dog and also a family photo. I loved making it and she hung it in her dorm room. I can't believe that she has since graduated and started her career. Time flies!

I printed the photos onto Printed Treasures fabric sheets, trimmed around the photo leaving the 3/4" border- seam allowance leaving it with a border to make it look like a photo, bordered it with solid black to size all of them the same size block then sashed in a black and white small scale dog bone print. It was fun! (I copied some of the photos from her Facebook page.)

i blocked out the human faces in the photo for privacy.
sandy
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Last edited by Sandygirl; 11-29-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

It took me 10 years to make this quilt for my Westie Mac. They are like our children. You might try different searches on memorial quilts for dogs. I get inspirations from what others have made in the photo section of the search. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails westie-front.jpg