Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips >

Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips

Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Oh my.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

I bought fabric as I found it. We're retired and the only way I felt comfortable quilting was mostly buying fabric from thrift stores or at huge discounts. I could no more replace that fabric today without a huge outlay of money we don't have/don't want to spend on fabric. Sure, it's not neat, but I am taking a class for which I have not had to buy 1 inch of fabric! And I'll have a cute baby quilt at the end of it. Plus, my stash will be down by at least 6 to 8 yards of fabric, including a Dr Seuess panel for the back, it's a win-win for me.

That said, I am considering getting some of those plastic boards to wrap fabric, but lots of mine is pretty big yardages. Another factor is energy. Let's see, I can quilt or I can organize my fabric...hummmm.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Hi! My name is Kim and I wrote the article that you all are talking about. Thanks for the link -- you all are powerful -- my traffic nearly doubled the day the topic was posted!

I just wanted to clarify a few points. These are NOT Peter Walsh's tips or steps, they are mine, inspired by his methods.

I was actually surprised at how many of you had a negative reaction! I would only suggest decluttering your stash if you have a decluttering *problem*. (Leading up to the destash article, I wrote a post called "Three Signs of a Cluttered Fabric Stash" here: http://www.trueup.net/stashes/three-...-fabric-stash/) If you can access your fabrics and move around your sewing space easily, then you don't maybe you have a problem and don't need to declutter!

Personally, I have limited space for my stash, and it gets cluttered so quickly that it often gets to the point where I can't even use the space for sewing. In fact, I am overdue for a round of decluttering now ...

Anyway, thanks again! I appreciate your feedback!
Kim
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM

On Feb 21 he is doing a quilters home. She is a greater charity quilter who became overwhelmed.

Remember these people have invited the declutter people into their house. No one forces them to do it. Even if the daughter calls---the Mom can easily say NO to the producer. But that being said--I did not see that particular show. But I had a MIL with a filthy house and would only go once a year Christmas Eve and hold the youngest child who put things into their mouth. I was really afraid to eat the food as stuff was growing mold in the refrigerator.

MY DH ex is a total hoarder and their 2 girls will have to deal with all that stuff eventually. It is sad and a dangerous way to live. I was stunned when I saw the house and would never do that to my children. I think every cool whip container on the east coast resides there.

Everything in moderation and have a plan for it when you pass away. Families have no idea of what to do with quilty stuff many times. Make sure you have a plan so it does not end up in a dumpster.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
On Feb 21 he is doing a quilters home. She is a greater charity quilter who became overwhelmed.

Remember these people have invited the declutter people into their house. No one forces them to do it. Even if the daughter calls---the Mom can easily say NO to the producer. But that being said--I did not see that particular show. But I had a MIL with a filthy house and would only go once a year Christmas Eve and hold the youngest child who put things into their mouth. I was really afraid to eat the food as stuff was growing mold in the refrigerator.

MY DH ex is a total hoarder and their 2 girls will have to deal with all that stuff eventually. It is sad and a dangerous way to live. I was stunned when I saw the house and would never do that to my children. I think every cool whip container on the east coast resides there.

Everything in moderation and have a plan for it when you pass away. Families have no idea of what to do with quilty stuff many times. Make sure you have a plan so it does not end up in a dumpster.
In the program the house was cluttered, not dirty.
It would not have been easy for the mother to say "No" to producers when she was threatened with never seeing the grandchild.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:59 PM

When it comes to my fabric stash I don't think I could do it. Weeding out some of the other misc. crafting stuff would not bother me. There are a few fabrics I could possibly give up, but most of my fabric I really like.