Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Creative 2140 Help >

Pfaff Creative 2140 Help

Pfaff Creative 2140 Help

Old 04-16-2020, 05:18 PM

Default Pfaff Creative 2140 Help

Hi! I’m trying to learn machine embroidery with my Grandma’s Pfaff Creative 2140. I have almost no sewing experience. I’ve only ever embroidered using this machine under my grandma’s supervision, but this is my first try by myself (very hard to get help during isolation).

I believe I’m almost set up, however I’m having a lot of trouble with the top thread tension. I am threading with the foot up, but afterwards as soon as the foot lever is down the thread becomes rock solid and can barely move.

I’ve tried starting an embroidery with this tension, but it simply gets struck and grabs the fabric.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Welcome. I am kind of nerdy when it comes to sewing machines. I have a Pfaff 1471 that I read the manual (someone let me borrow it) multiple times before I was able to get a couple year old machine. I'm more familiar with more vintage machines that have a dial to adjust the top tension. So I found a manual for the Creative 2140 at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/50...tive-2140.html I had to really hunt for the how to adjust the top tension. I looked at the index and then tried to find the page in the pdf to find that there are several places that mention the thread tension. Apparently, it is in the lower right of the screen.

After looking at the threading diagram, it seems rather counter intuitive (at least for me) to me. I'm used to bringing the thread down on the right side and then up the left to reach the take up lever. It appears the 2140 comes down the left and back up the right side to the take up lever.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by elhay View Post
I believe I’m almost set up, however I’m having a lot of trouble with the top thread tension. I am threading with the foot up, but afterwards as soon as the foot lever is down the thread becomes rock solid and can barely move.
It's normal to "stop" the thread pull through the tension discs when the presser foot is lowered. One doesn't set top tension by the feel of the thread through the tensioner.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:42 PM

I have 3 embroidery machines (2 Pfaff and 1 Brother) and I never adjust my tension. When you thread the machine with the foot up, the tension assembly is open for the thread to slide in. When the foot is lowered, the tension is applied and it tightens up. You won't be able to pull it thru--if you can then it needs servicing. I don't think you need to worry about it unless the thread is breaking when stitching. And the correct ration on the back of the item is 1/3 bobbin thread and 2/3 top thread.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ginaky View Post
...You won't be able to pull it thru--if you can then it needs servicing. ... And the correct ration on the back of the item is 1/3 bobbin thread and 2/3 top thread.
From that I gather that on an embroidery machine the top tension is a little looser than what one would use while regular sewing.
What I think is a good video about upper tension (granted it is a manual/mechanical adjustment - not computer) can be found at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxtQO2XSB4s

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)