Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff frame and Hobby 1200-Opinions/Experiences >

Pfaff frame and Hobby 1200-Opinions/Experiences

Pfaff frame and Hobby 1200-Opinions/Experiences

Old 03-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I am looking for feedback on these items. I have found two listed on Kijiji here in Ontario and although I really think I would like to own one I know very little about machine frames and the only machine quilting I have done has been on my Pfaff 7550 (very basic, straight line quilting). I know from posts by other users that machine quilting takes tons of practise and I am okay with that. They are asking $2500 and $2700 Cdn for these machines ($2300 & $2500 approx in US dollars) and I am trying to justify spending this kind of money on a hobby item. How many of you own machine quilting frames and machines just for personal use?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

I have this combination, which I bought used last year. I only paid $1,500 US for my setup (Frame, Machine and Cruise Control). Here in the US, the setup is about $3,200 brand new. I like the setup and it works well, but the throat space is small. You'll probably outgrow it in a short while. But it is much better than pushing/pulling your quilts through your regular machine.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Try checking on the homequiltingsystems group at Yahoo! (You have to set up a Yahoo! ID and request to join the group.) It is a very active group of quilters with frame setups and they can probably answer questions about this particular combination. They also have a "for sale" section in the files of people looking to sell frames and machines.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:48 AM
wv

I have the same system you are looking at and I love it. Yes, to Mytwopals' point there throat space CAN be a bit limited as I found on the quilt I am currently making, however it is the first time in over 3 dozen quilts I have any any problems. I just picked a pattern a bit too large for an extra long quilt. The problem can be resolved by taking the quilt off the frame an turning it around.

If you are making any large size (double, queen or king) quilts you'll recover your investment in no time when compared to the price of having the quilting finished by a professional. Depending on your pattern you stich you can complete a queen sized quilt in a day.

I love my Pfaff Grand Quilter and frame. I can't wait to get my tops pieced so I can start quilting!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:55 PM

I unfortunately have not had very good luck with the Pfaff Grand quilter on the frame as it constantly jumps while doing a pattern or attempting to follow one. I do have a stitch regulator and I can do the machine quilting when it is not on the home frame. I would love to get some helpful tips as to what I am doing wrong. The thread frequently breaks although I have made some improvements with that but the quilting itself looks awful on both sides because at a critical moment, the machine seems to jump or have a bit of a startle reflex. It is so frustrating and disappointing to me. I do plan on continuing to try and master this skill but I have been at it for months and the improvement is so slight that I do not dare use it on a 'real' quilt and I am practicing repeatedly on plain white fabric. i would appreciate any help anyone has to offer-thanks-twinsister