Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff Grand Quilter, Hobby 1200 and Inspiration Frame >

Pfaff Grand Quilter, Hobby 1200 and Inspiration Frame

Pfaff Grand Quilter, Hobby 1200 and Inspiration Frame

Old 03-31-2023, 09:29 AM

Default Pfaff Grand Quilter, Hobby 1200 and Inspiration Frame

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter with an Inspiration frame and the thread seems to be braking/fraying in the thread guides. We have the stitch regulator on it as well. Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this issue or what we might be doing wrong
Old 03-31-2023, 10:25 AM

what thread are you using? Is the needle the right size for the thread? What size is the thread? Is it a new needle. Have you had this setup for a while and are you sure it is threaded correctly?
Old 03-31-2023, 11:43 AM

Thanks, 40 wt polyester, 80/12 HL X 5, put in a new needle, rethreaded various times
Old 04-01-2023, 05:23 AM

Clean the tension discs, feel for burrs on needle plate and bobbin/bobbin case. I just had the same problem with my emb machine. The only thing I had to smoothe the needle plate was emery boards for fingernails..but it did the trick. I remembered the needle breaking couple of days before. My problem solved..hope yours will be.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:37 AM

umm...just trying to remember, I used to have the viking Megaquilter which was pretty much the same as the Pfaff Hobby I think. Anyway, have you tried using a larger needle. I am thinking I used a 90 or 100 but I also used King Tut thread. Machines on a frame can go faster then a sit down and sometimes, thread will shred if the needle is too small. Do you still have the manual? What size should the needle be if the machine is mounted on the frame? Also the thread guides can develop a groove which might shredd the thread. I am assuming the set up is older and has been used?
Old 04-02-2023, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Clean the tension discs, feel for burrs on needle plate and bobbin/bobbin case. I just had the same problem with my emb machine. The only thing I had to smoothe the needle plate was emery boards for fingernails..but it did the trick. I remembered the needle breaking couple of days before. My problem solved..hope yours will be.

Thanks I like the idea of cleaning the tension discs. I will try that.
Old 04-02-2023, 06:19 AM

Yes the machine is older and we had been using an 80/12 needle and I think we will try the 90 or even the 100. And I agree with the thread suggestion too. The manual doesn’t mention about the needle size hen on a frame…..
Old 04-02-2023, 08:15 AM

umm...I am also remembering that my Inspira frame developed a sag in the middle which resulted in the distance between the machine and the quilt being larger in the middle then on the two ends. So, this was a problem with getting good stitches. I can't remember if I just got bad stitches, or the thread was breaking. I got tired of trying to keep the quilt level and the small area to quilt on especially at the end of a larger quilt. So, when I retired, I bought a used APQS Lucey which has a 26-inch neck and a much better frame that doesn't sag. No retirement cruises for me! Just a new long arm. Love it. 2-3 more quilts and I have made my money back for the purchase of this set-up compared to sending my quilts out to be done. I am glad however that I got my mega quilter and Inspira frame because I learned I really could quilt myself although if I have a very special quilt to do, I do send it out for custom quilting as I am just not wonderful at that. My go to is a meander plus. I throw little motifs in like leaves, bubbles, or hearts. I am not very good at spirals. They look funny!