Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Actually, Pfaffs WERE made in Sweden -
Didn't know that. I think mine were still make in good old Deutschland.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM

I also like my vikings. I have had my viking #1 for close to 20 years now, and for the 1st time in all those years took it in for a clean and check and mentioned that the foot control was hesitating more and more. He ran a check and said he had never seen that before. Well, they said it was the mother board and motor and if they could find those parts it would cost close to 750.00. I said that machine doesn't owe me a penny and I will take it home to die with me. Problem is they no longer make parts for those machines. They were and are workhorses. I believe they are following the system of our throw away society today. If it breaks throw it away and buy new. Which is not always better. Remember, I do still like my vikings.

Suzy
Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by TexasGurl
Actually, Pfaffs WERE made in Sweden -
Didn't know that. I think mine were still make in good old Deutschland.
Sorry if my reply was confusing, I meant that after Viking bought /merged with Pfaff about 10 years ago Pfaffs were then made in Sweden (also some in Czech. etc)
If you have a Pfaff that's more than 10 yrs old, those were made in Germany.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 AM

I wonder what sewing machines are made in the USA anymore? Anyone know?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM

I don't think any sewing machines are made in the USA anymore.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I really don't think that where they are made is of consequence. I think what DOES make a differece is quality control. Anyone else feel this way?
Melinda, I think many people care about the WHERE sewing machines are made. I really try to stay away from anything made in China due to all the health issues of products that have come from there. Let alone the thousands of people who lost pets poisoned from chemicals from China. And of course, lets not forget the labor issues they have there-people in sweat shop working conditions, child labor etc. So, yes I think as humans we care about this. Does it make me perfect? No, I still buy products made in China-at this point it's almost impossible not to. But, given the info. ahead of time consumers can decide. Personally, if I liked 2 machines and one was made in China, I'd go for the other one.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM

Unfortunetly, most things are made in China now adays. Do I like it? No... but if I need to buy something, I don't have alot to choose from. And yes, I made me very angry over the pet food disaster. I have many pets, who in reality are my *children*.

But as far as buying sewing machines, if you want a new, modern machine, most are made in Asia. Thank you NAFTA, they put alot of American companies out of business. Anyone wanting an American made machine is going to have to go with a vintage machine. I have 2 in my stable. An 1896 Singer Treadle and a Singer Rockateer. Both say made in USA. Both aare vintage.

The thing is about buying Asian made machines is quality control. There are many good machines made overseas, also many are junk.

Which is another reason I am now a babylock girl. Their QC is excellent. JMO
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Like dominos the sewing machine manufacturers are outsourcing to Asia. It USED to be that we could buy good, German, Swedish or Swiss engineering. Then Pfaff and Viking outsourced and it looks like Bernina is starting to follow the crowd. It's very, very sad.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM

LOL, which is why I still hang on to my Pfaff 7570. It doesn't have the bells and whistles the newer machines have, but at least it is German made. The very last series. I will not be buying another Pfaff as it is just not the same quality machine. Hence, my change to Babylock.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM

This is hard to believe as Husqvarna has a HUGE factory in Sweden.